Question Can I revive this old PC?

Five5hot

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2013
Hello there!

I am not the most tech-savvy so I need some advice. It's VERY outdated, but I was wondering If I can salvage any of these parts? Is it even worth trying to salvage them?

CPU: i7 - 6700k 4.00 GHz
COOLER: COOLER MASTER HYPER H412R
Motherboard: Z170A KRAIT GAMING (MS-7984)
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM (2x8GB) 16GB (3000MHz)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC GAMING
PSU: CORSAIR 750M 750W 80PLUS
CASE: THERMALTAKE CORE X31 ATX

Wanted to hear some thoughts. IDK if this would even sell LOL.

Looking to go this route on my next build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Photonman1/saved/vQYqdC
Seems like a decent build path with the potential for upgrades.

Was also looking at this Pre-built:
https://www.newegg.com/skytech-st-eclipselite-1119-w-ne/p/3D5-000Z-001H0
Obviously can build it for cheaper and get better parts, but I am willing to pay for the conveniences lol.

Looking to play at 1080p with Max/Ultra Graphics on games and streaming.
If you guys have other builds you guys recommend please let me know.
I want to thank anyone who takes the time to comment and give advice or insight. <3

Five5hot

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2013
What is your upgrade budget? A motherboard/CPU that recycles the rest could increase performance quite a bit, as could getting a stronger GPU (and possibly PSU).
Thanks for the comment!

For a rebuild or a complete rebuild, I wanted to try to keep the whole build around ~$1500 if possible with $2k being the absolute max I would want to spend. Like the title said If some parts are still viable, I'll be happy to continue using my older parts. My goal is for future-proofing in mind. I am not sure if that's smart though... Would it be more cost-effective to go for future-proofing? Or just buy what I need now to run the games I am currently playing?

Five5hot

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2013
You'd probably be best off seeing if there was a place to donate that old system if you don't have a reason to keep it around. It's one of those things where updating it isn't likely to be worthwhile, selling it will probably be tricky (personally wouldn't be enough money to be worth the effort), but the parts are decent enough someone might get some use out of it.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
That seems like quite a good system as it is right now. Although not Win11 compliant it would still work well as a secondary machine or hand-me-down for someone in need. I concur with the sentiment of just building a new rig, and keeping this PC functional - rather than fragmenting it for a half-baked ‘upgrade’ bitsa.

I’ve worked with freelancers with much worse systems as their daily driver.

Reactions: Five5hot

Five5hot

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2013
That seems like quite a good system as it is right now. Although not Win11 compliant it would still work well as a secondary machine or hand-me-down for someone in need. I concur with the sentiment of just building a new rig, and keeping this PC functional - rather than fragmenting it for a half-baked ‘upgrade’ bitsa.

I’ve worked with freelancers with much worse systems as their daily driver.

You'd probably be best off seeing if there was a place to donate that old system if you don't have a reason to keep it around. It's one of those things where updating it isn't likely to be worthwhile, selling it will probably be tricky (personally wouldn't be enough money to be worth the effort), but the parts are decent enough someone might get some use out of it.
Gotcha. I will probably end up donating it. Thanks to both of you for your advice! <3

I am not sure if I should be asking this new question on this thread but like I stated earlier I was looking at these:

Looking to go this route on my next build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Photonman1/saved/vQYqdC

Seems like a decent build path with the potential for upgrades. Probably will upgrade the build with a better GPU, MOBO, and maybe an AIO?

Was also looking at this Pre-built:
https://www.newegg.com/skytech-st-eclipselite-1119-w-ne/p/3D5-000Z-001H0

Probably can be built making it cheaper, but idk how much it would save me? Probably ~$200-300?

Latest posts