[SOLVED] Can I run 14 pins worth of graphics cards off one molex lead?

Lyrellia

Prominent
Nov 25, 2020
I have a 750 watt psu, and recently bought a new GPU that needs both the 8 and 6 pin PCIE connectors. My psu does not have either, however reading many threads about psu they say '500 watts is enough', indeed 500 watts is the required power psu on the gpu datasheet - and that 750 watts is overkill. So I was thinking shouldnt my 750 be able to run a card that only requires a 500?
Connectors on psu are as follows:
20+4 pin atx (connected to mobo)
4 pin atx (connected to cpu)
4*sata (3 connected to drives, 4th connected to my case fans)
1*molex.
For my old GPU (required one 6-pin PCIE) I used a splitter to turn the one molex into two, then an adapter to turn the two molexes into one 6-pin PCIE, and it ran fine. So, since I have more than enough power available, could I use two more splitters to turn them two molexes into four molexes, use my existing adapter to turn two of them molexes into the 6-pin PCIE, then buy another adapter to turn the other 2 molexes into an 8-pin (or 6+2) PCIE and run the whole 14 pins of graphics card off one molex? Or would I be running into overload issues on the physical wires?
Is there any other solutions beside new psu?

Lyrellia

Prominent
Nov 25, 2020
so about 20 years ago?
Not sure of exact age, but it has outlasted at least 3 complete mobo/psu upgrades - always been of the thought that at 750 watts its as good as any of the new stuff on the market.
Or to put it another way, when I bought it cigarettes were considered good for you.

USAFRet

Titan
Not sure of exact age, but it has outlasted at least 3 complete mobo/psu upgrades - always been of the thought that at 750 watts its as good as any of the new stuff on the market.
Or to put it another way, when I bought it cigarettes were considered good for you.
Even today.
There are "750 watt" PSU's being sold right now that I wouldn't trust to run a desk lamp.

The number printed on the label means little.

No. even on a good psu, a single molex is not capable.
Older power supplies generated their wattage on the 3 and 5v rails.
not on 12v where modern processors and graphics cards need them.
Do not plan on using that psu.
As a matter of interest, can you post a photo of the data plate

If you really have had that PSU for that long, and would be buying more adapter anyway to make this very poor solution work, just get a new PSU. A new PSU will run more efficiently, and will deliver better/cleaner power to the PC more reliably. You have by FAR gotten your moneys worth out of that PSU, let it go. A new decent 80+ rated PSU is the only real way to go for the future.