[SOLVED] Can I run a 3800x with this system?

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
Hi, here's the setup that I currently have. I am wondering, can I run the 3800x with this (most likely stock settings and stock cooler) or would I need to change something around (e.g. PSU).

Motherboard: MSI B550m Bazooka
GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ventus 2X
PSU: Corsair CX 550W 80+Bronze
Storage: 1TB M.2 Nvme and 2 * 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

Solution
That should be fine, as is. Check to be sure what BIOS revision is required and what you are on before taking apart the working system. If this is a not purchased planned build, throw a few more dollars on the next step up PSU (in quality not wattage).

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
That should be fine, as is. Check to be sure what BIOS revision is required and what you are on before taking apart the working system. If this is a not purchased planned build, throw a few more dollars on the next step up PSU (in quality not wattage).

Solution

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017

I already have these components from before expect the motherboard. The motherboard is new and on the box it says Ryzen 3rd gen ready so I think it should work out of the box?

The PSU I've had for a few years which is why I was wondering if it's still good for some component changes.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It just saying "# gen ready" can be an indication that it's BIOS flashed already, or it can mean that the BIOS is available for it to run with that gen.
3rd gen Ryzen is technically 5xxx.
4xxx is the "native" CPU for the 5xx chipset so you should be fine, but do your homework to be sure, like SURE. Many issues come of the confusion about Ryzen CPU gen against chipset and BIOS revisions.

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
It just saying "# gen ready" can be an indication that it's BIOS flashed already, or it can mean that the BIOS is available for it to run with that gen.
3rd gen Ryzen is technically 5xxx.
4xxx is the "native" CPU for the 5xx chipset so you should be fine, but do your homework to be sure, like SURE. Many issues come of the confusion about Ryzen CPU gen against chipset and BIOS revisions.

Is there some other way I can be sure? Couldn't find much searching it up and the product description says "support for 3rd gen Ryzen and future gens with bios update". So it seems like it should work?

This is the product link: https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-MAG-B550M...ooka&qid=1633994913&sprefix=msi+b550m+&sr=8-1