[SOLVED] can i run a ddr3l ram on a ddr3 slot on an i7 4790k ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2019
ddr3l ram : hyperx fury 8gb 1600mhz 1.35
ddr3 ram : hyperx fury 8gb 1600mhz 1.5
ps : m asking this question bec some random youtuber said it works only if ur processor is skylake above and i think i7 4790k is haswell right ? so can anyone with experience can provide me an answer i would grately appreciate it .

Solution
ok thank youu , so it should be overvolted automaticaly to 1.5v ust fine ? and if not ill overvolt it manualy and m good ?

I wouldn't know for sure, might have to set it manually. The board supports both types so it might default to 1.5v.

It's anyone's guess if this will work, just remember that.
Nov 10, 2019
DDR3L RAM will work in both DDR3 and DDR3L slots per the specs. DDR3 will not work in a DDR3L slot. The biggest problem here is that mismatched RAM tends not to work well together, no matter the platform.
both of them are hyper x fury 8gb 1600mhz its just a diff of voltage , and ik ddr3 can run both and ddr3l cant run just but ddr3l ,but would it work on my case then ? the slots i have run ddr3 its an azrock z97 extreme 4 so i should be fine ?

Trouble is they will have to run at a fixed voltage, you can’t run different voltages simultaneously. Therefore you will either be under or over volting 1 stick.

Then you have the fact mixing RAM always has a risk of issues even when same make and model but not from a matched kit.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
both of them are hyper x fury 8gb 1600mhz its just a diff of voltage
Which, by definition, means that they are NOT the same.

, and ik ddr3 can run both and ddr3l cant run just but ddr3l ,but would it work on my case then ? the slots i have run ddr3 its an azrock z97 extreme 4 so i should be fine ?
Wrong. DDR3 cannot operate in a DDR3L slot as it cannot operate at the lower voltage. Per the spec DDR3L can operate at the higher voltage required by DDR3. However, as the two sticks are not from the same package they are most assuredly not guaranteed to work together. In fact I would be surprised to see them work together at all.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Nov 10, 2019
Trouble is they will have to run at a fixed voltage, you can’t run different voltages simultaneously. Therefore you will either be under or over volting 1 stick.

Then you have the fact mixing RAM always has a risk of issues even when same make and model but not from a matched kit.
oki and does that affect the durability of either one of them ? or it dosent matter ?

Nov 10, 2019
Which, by definition, means that they are NOT the same.

Wrong. DDR3 cannot operate in a DDR3L slot as it cannot operate at the lower voltage. Per the spec DDR3L can operate at the higher voltage required by DDR3. However, as the two sticks are not from the same package they are most assuredly not guaranteed to work together. In fact I would be surprised to see them work together at all.
yeah ik ik i just puted that in a bad way , my mobo is ddr3 and i have a ddr3 ram already im gonna add another one which is ddr3l so ill try to run them both at 1.35 if the ddr3l one didint work at 1.5 and let u khnow the result

Nov 10, 2019
1.35v ram can run at 1.5v, that's fine and is what it should be set at because your other ram most likely won't operate properly at 1.35v.
ok thank youu , so it should be overvolted automaticaly to 1.5v ust fine ? and if not ill overvolt it manualy and m good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.