[SOLVED] Can i run a gpu without 6 pin power connector??

Apr 15, 2020
I wants to buy galax exoc 1050 2gb ddr5 edition gpu but my power supply doesn't have a 6pin power connector. And also my power supply is non branded 500w
My pc spec: Pentium G4560
12 gb ddr4
Please suggest me what can i do?

Solution
just look if the PSU model has any 80% efficiency certification sticker on it,and it should do the job perfectly fine.
Absolutely not. There are a lot of hot garbage power supplies with an 80+ certification. Brands such as Raidmax, Diablotek, etc. will do this.
Look for a power supply from reliable brands. Read through THIS to find out what makes a good power supply and which brands to trust.
if you have GPU with pins on it, it shouldnt only get power from the motherboard because it can really damage the motherboard, but you must have pin cables from the PSU that are designed to give power to the GPU (pin connectors). Those kind of GPUs need to receive the power both from the PSU and from the motherboard.Again DONT USE THE GPU IF YOU DONT HAVE THE SPECIFIC PIN CONNECTOR/S FROM THE PSU.I would also recommend buying a new PSU (branded this time) that you are sure it will do the job.If you dont know much about PSUs,just look if the PSU model has any 80% efficiency certification sticker on it,and it should do the job perfectly fine.If you do not want to buy a new PSU,just buy a 6-pin to SATA power adapters.Just plug the SATA part into a spare SATA cable from the PSU that you dont use,and the 6-pin part to the 6-pin connector on the GPU.If you have further problems or question,feel free to message me.
Good luck :)

Reactions: IHHridoy

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
just look if the PSU model has any 80% efficiency certification sticker on it,and it should do the job perfectly fine.
Absolutely not. There are a lot of hot garbage power supplies with an 80+ certification. Brands such as Raidmax, Diablotek, etc. will do this.
Look for a power supply from reliable brands. Read through THIS to find out what makes a good power supply and which brands to trust.

Reactions: King_V and IHHridoy
Solution
Apr 15, 2020
if you have GPU with pins on it, it shouldnt only get power from the motherboard because it can really damage the motherboard, but you must have pin cables from the PSU that are designed to give power to the GPU (pin connectors). Those kind of GPUs need to receive the power both from the PSU and from the motherboard.Again DONT USE THE GPU IF YOU DONT HAVE THE SPECIFIC PIN CONNECTOR/S FROM THE PSU.I would also recommend buying a new PSU (branded this time) that you are sure it will do the job.If you dont know much about PSUs,just look if the PSU model has any 80% efficiency certification sticker on it,and it should do the job perfectly fine.If you do not want to buy a new PSU,just buy a 6-pin to SATA power adapters.Just plug the SATA part into a spare SATA cable from the PSU that you dont use,and the 6-pin part to the 6-pin connector on the GPU.If you have further problems or question,feel free to message me.
Thnx for ur suggestions. I know little about psu and now this time it's hard to buy a one for me that's why i need to know my non branded psu able to run this gpu or not if i buy 6-pin to SATA power adapteres can my psu handle this?? Because 1050 needs only 75w

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
It has on galax exoc 1050 2gb ddr5 dual fan edition.
That's why I'm in trouble
Oh I see. It looks like the card only uses 75w. I’d say try to run it without the external power connector. If that works, cool. If not, this might be one of the feeble instances where a SATA to 6 pin adapter may be okay.
Either way, though, a power supply upgrade Is definitely highly recommended. The power supply you have now is like a fire starter.

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
You need to calculate how many watts your PC needs, then find out the REAL output of that PS before anyone can tell you yes, maybe or no. Until then it's just speculation. It seems with off brand PS that 2/3 to 3/4 of max rated wattage may be all you can get safely out of it.
Someone can direct you to a GOOD wattage calculator

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020
Oh I see. It looks like the card only uses 75w. I’d say try to run it without the external power connector. If that works, cool. If not, this might be one of the feeble instances where a SATA to 6 pin adapter may be okay.
Either way, though, a power supply upgrade Is definitely highly recommended. The power supply you have now is like a fire starter.
Definitely but due to limited budget i can't buy a power supply right now. I'm very confused about it. If i run it without power connector for a moment can it damage my components?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Definitely but due to limited budget i can't buy a power supply right now. I'm very confused about it. If i run it without power connector for a moment can it damage my components?
No. If there’s a problem your PC will just shut off. If you can open your computer and send us a picture of the label on the power supply that would be very helpful.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
A Chinese psu brand name A.Tech 500w.. Don't know any details about it

It doesn't matter if it says it's 1000w, I wouldn't trust that. If you can't afford to get a decent PSU, then you should not plug in that video card. I assume that it should probably just give you a blank screen, or you might get a message saying that you must plug in the PCIe connector for it.

But even if it does run, don't do it with that PSU you currently have.

Apr 15, 2020
It doesn't matter if it says it's 1000w, I wouldn't trust that. If you can't afford to get a decent PSU, then you should not plug in that video card. I assume that it should probably just give you a blank screen, or you might get a message saying that you must plug in the PCIe connector for it.

But even if it does run, don't do it with that PSU you currently have.
Got it but my psu handle gt 1030 though it was a low powered gpu and 1050 2gb needs 75w. So what's ur suggestion about that?