[SOLVED] Can i run a gpu without 6 pin power connector??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 15, 2020
I wants to buy galax exoc 1050 2gb ddr5 edition gpu but my power supply doesn't have a 6pin power connector. And also my power supply is non branded 500w
My pc spec: Pentium G4560
12 gb ddr4
Please suggest me what can i do?

Solution
just look if the PSU model has any 80% efficiency certification sticker on it,and it should do the job perfectly fine.
Absolutely not. There are a lot of hot garbage power supplies with an 80+ certification. Brands such as Raidmax, Diablotek, etc. will do this.
Look for a power supply from reliable brands. Read through THIS to find out what makes a good power supply and which brands to trust.

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Got it but my psu handle gt 1030 though it was a low powered gpu and 1050 2gb needs 75w. So what's ur suggestion about that?

If you look at your PS you can see on the +12VDC rail it puts out a maximum of 206 watts. I don't know which wattage calculator you used but so you can see for yourself you should see how much of your PC's needed watts will use the +12VDC rail. You said the PS was old so figure 175 watts absolute max output. (if your lucky) The GPU only uses the +12VDC rail on top of that you never want to run your PS maxed out ESPECIALLY an old one that may have the specs over-exaggerated to begin with, not to mention the circumspect build quality.
I mean what's the worst that could happen, the PS catches fire, (it does happen) catches the drapes on fire in your room and burns half the house down. Just because it cranks up and seems to work doesn't mean it will be working 20 minutes from now.
pretty accurate wattage calc. - Outervision

Reactions: IHHridoy

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Got it but my psu handle gt 1030 though it was a low powered gpu and 1050 2gb needs 75w. So what's ur suggestion about that?
My suggestion is still DO NOT USE your existing power supply.

See the first link in my sig. There is a writeup that describes good vs bad power supplies, what is recommended, what should be avoided, and at the end of the writeup, a Wall Of Shame that basically amounts to "never use these brands of PSU" - it's not a complete list, there are too many crap PSUs out there to keep track of all of them.

Read that writeup - and make your choice accordingly.

Reactions: IHHridoy

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Psu
Check this file
from the label, it looks pretty decent. I’m still having a hard time trusting it, though. It’s labeled as 500w and doesn’t even have a single six pin. Also, the label says “no serviceable parts inside” which would infer that it’s got bad capacitors or whatever.
Weird question, but how heavy is the power supply minus the cables? Like just hold it in your hand. Is it light or decently heavy?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It's not handling it. It's already dangerous because you're using a garbage-tier power supply. It doesn't matter if it's 200W or 1500W. You're already drunk driving; a GPU upgrade just means you're driving even faster.

I think everyone in the thread has been more than clear about your situation.

Junk-PSU.png

Reactions: IHHridoy and King_V

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Yeah, we're pretty much saying:
Don't upgrade your GPU before you can upgrade your power supply.

Your power supply could take down your whole system if you don't upgrade. Would you rather spend a little on a decent 400w-ish power supply now or spend a lot on replacing your dead system because you didn't get a better PSU?