[SOLVED] Can I run an i3-9100F?

giprepus15

Prominent
Jan 27, 2020
Hello,

I would like to know whether I could run an i3-9100F with my current motherboard (H110H4-EM 2.0) without having to muck around in the BIOS. Problem is, seeing as my PC is a prebuilt, I'm not sure what my motherboard specs are.

I currently run an i5-6400 (I know it's weird to go from i5 to i3, but the i3-9100F is half the price at the moment at most websites in Australia and has much better specs). Not actually sure that knowing my current CPU is necessary (but hopefully it helps?).

Both CPUs use LGA 1151, which is a good start.

When I check device manager (under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers) it says "Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family...". However, my motherboard's name and model would suggest its not a C230? Not sure if H110 and C230 are completely different statistics or not, and somehow can't seem to find anything to tell me on the internet...

My prebuilt is the Medion Akoya P5110.

Additionally, would I need to buy a new cpu fan (and/or anything else) to pair with it? My i5-6400 has a TDP of 65W, as does the i3-9100F.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Solution
No, you can't. That is a 9th gen CPU. Your motherboard can ONLY run 6th Gen CPUs, or with a new enough BIOS version, possibly also 7th gen CPUs.

Any of these can be run on H110 chipset motherboards, if you have a new enough BIOS version and IF your manufacturer released a BIOS version for that board that supports them. These are the ONLY CPUs you can run in that board based on the chipset. Whether you can ACTUALLY run them, based on BIOS support since it is an OEM board for a prebuilt system, is another story, and you will need to check the CPU support page for your prebuilt system model number at the manufacturers website, but it's likely any of these will probably work if they offered a BIOS update AFTER the 7th gen CPUs were...
No, you can't. That is a 9th gen CPU. Your motherboard can ONLY run 6th Gen CPUs, or with a new enough BIOS version, possibly also 7th gen CPUs.

Any of these can be run on H110 chipset motherboards, if you have a new enough BIOS version and IF your manufacturer released a BIOS version for that board that supports them. These are the ONLY CPUs you can run in that board based on the chipset. Whether you can ACTUALLY run them, based on BIOS support since it is an OEM board for a prebuilt system, is another story, and you will need to check the CPU support page for your prebuilt system model number at the manufacturers website, but it's likely any of these will probably work if they offered a BIOS update AFTER the 7th gen CPUs were released.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#f=75,73&sort=price&page=1

Solution
There is no certainty on that fact. Many OEMs never release BIOS updates that allow you to install next-Gen CPUs in their motherboards, regardless of whether they are compatible or not. Support for motherboards that come in prebuilt systems is not like it is for aftermarket board manufacturer models. Those almost always offer latest Gen BIOS support if it is compatible. OEM boards, not so much. They want you to buy a new system, not stick a new CPU in it.

giprepus15

Prominent
Jan 27, 2020

Any of these can be run on H110 chipset motherboards, if you have a new enough BIOS version and IF your manufacturer released a BIOS version for that board that supports them. These are the ONLY CPUs you can run in that board based on the chipset. Whether you can ACTUALLY run them, based on BIOS support since it is an OEM board for a prebuilt system, is another story, and you will need to check the CPU support page for your prebuilt system model number at the manufacturers website, but it's likely any of these will probably work if they offered a BIOS update AFTER the 7th gen CPUs were released.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#f=75,73&sort=price&page=1
Thanks for the response! Any chance you could tell me what type of motherboard to look into buying? Would it be standard sizing like ATX (, ITX etc.) or something weird because it's by Medion?

I can't find any information regarding the form factor of that motherboard.

If you could take a picture of your motherboard as it sits in the case, that is clear enough to make out the mounting pattern of the motherboard mounting bolts that attach it to the case/motherboard tray, then I could PROBABLY figure out what form factor it is by that. Also, include a picture of the rear of the case so we can see the rear I/O arrangement as well.

It would also be helpful to know the exact PSU model number, and that should be located directly on the PSU itself, on the specifications decal. If not, then at least the brand and series of the PSU would be helpful.

giprepus15

Prominent
Jan 27, 2020
I can't find any information regarding the form factor of that motherboard.

If you could take a picture of your motherboard as it sits in the case, that is clear enough to make out the mounting pattern of the motherboard mounting bolts that attach it to the case/motherboard tray, then I could PROBABLY figure out what form factor it is by that. Also, include a picture of the rear of the case so we can see the rear I/O arrangement as well.

It would also be helpful to know the exact PSU model number, and that should be located directly on the PSU itself, on the specifications decal. If not, then at least the brand and series of the PSU would be helpful.
PSU is a Cooler Master Masterwatt 550 bronze. After a bit more research I found my board is probably Micro-ATX. Not sure if I'll be able to open up the family PC again until I actually want to do work as it's too hard to give an explanation of the and it could well freak out my parents (despite having successfully replaced the PSU and added a GPU)...

If it's your parents computer, you probably shouldn't even be asking for advice on what or how to do anything with it without their supervision, guidance and inclusion in the process anyhow. Not having that, could end badly for all involved. Meaning you. LOL.

TRENDING THREADS