[SOLVED] Can I run my 3070 Ti with 1x 8 PCIe and 1x 8 DAISY CHAINED PCIe?

DoctorPokerFace

Honorable
Mar 18, 2015
My 3070 Ti requires 3x 8pin PCIe inputs. My PSU only has 2x 8pin PCIe ports. Right now I have 1x 8pin connected directly to my GPU and the other 8pin daisy-chained connected to the other 2x 8pins on my GPU. Will my GPU perform worse compared to being connected to 3 separate 8pin PCIe cables?

Thanks

Solution
At the risk of being burnt at the stake, I've run my 6900XT which also has 3 power connectors, using 1x double headed pcie 8pin cable and 1x single cable so 3 power plugs with 2 cables up until recently, when i got a new PSU and changed it to one PCIE cable per plug. No real difference in terms of stability or performance. There may be less of a tax on the PSU (?) im no expert on that but it doesnt seem like its really affected anything personally. Your mileage may vary.

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
At the risk of being burnt at the stake, I've run my 6900XT which also has 3 power connectors, using 1x double headed pcie 8pin cable and 1x single cable so 3 power plugs with 2 cables up until recently, when i got a new PSU and changed it to one PCIE cable per plug. No real difference in terms of stability or performance. There may be less of a tax on the PSU (?) im no expert on that but it doesnt seem like its really affected anything personally. Your mileage may vary.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
not going to be burnt at all.
The single cable with 2 x 6+2 pin connectors is usually good for 225 to 250 watts by itself depends on the wire gauge and length.

I'm actually using the single cable right now on my 2080.

I would second the reccomendation to read the documentation for your PSU to see how many watts a single cable can comfortably provide.

As long as the manufacturer used properly speced wire gauge, your configuration shouldn't be an issue. I would expect a high quality RMx to have no issues with this.