[SOLVED] Can I save on custom braided cables and get a fully modular PSU or are they really helpful too?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
So yeah, i came across custom cables off a pc building site here in India (ant-pc, certified distributor on nvidia's site and good reviews overall, i think i can trust them) and they say they have different power ratings than most standard power cables (16 instead of 18 AWG, i think), of course that just might be marketing so i want to ask here, will i be better off buying a non modular PSU (deepcool dq850) with custom cables it a fully modular PSU (NZXT c850 gold) with the regular ones?

The PSU is going to power a 3080Ti and a i7 12700F so i don't want to take chances here.

Last edited:
Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Source cables meant for your unit, do NOT mix and match cables that look similar...the reason behind that is that not all OEM's have the same pinout for units, in spite of looking visually similar. Are you asking for sleeved extensions for your Deepcool unit? If so, you can get extensions but please don't plug said extensions to the modular end of a PSU, in spite of the connector looking like it'll work.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Source cables meant for your unit, do NOT mix and match cables that look similar...the reason behind that is that not all OEM's have the same pinout for units, in spite of looking visually similar. Are you asking for sleeved extensions for your Deepcool unit? If so, you can get extensions but please don't plug said extensions to the modular end of a PSU, in spite of the connector looking like it'll work.
I have two choices, either the deepcool + custom cables (it's non modular btw, using custom ones as extension) or the nzxt (this one is modular) with the ones that come along with it

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Kind of weird that these two exact PSUs are the only choices, but if that's the case, it's quite obviously the NZXT, since it's easily the better quality PSU. The Deepcool isn't outright junk like a lot of things they sell, but it's certainly not the top-tier PSU I'd use with an x80 Ti model.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Kind of weird that these two exact PSUs are the only choices, but if that's the case, it's quite obviously the NZXT, since it's easily the better quality PSU. The Deepcool isn't outright junk like a lot of things they sell, but it's certainly not the top-tier PSU I'd use with an x80 Ti model.
Actually I'm getting it built from them (the site i mentioned in top post) so they have only two choices, one for 80 plus gold non modular (deepcool) and the 80 plus gold fully modular (the nzxt)

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
As everybody is saying get the NZXT it is the better unit! Make sure you get the cables not used in your build that come with it. You may need them later for upgrades.
Apologies for the vary late reply, i did get everything that was not used in the pc (all the boxes, other connecting cables, like SATA and those 3 pin, 4 pin argb cables and fan hubs), along with, of course the extra cables.

And yes, i did go for the C850