Question Can i set a third disk to mirror data disk 1 and 2 which is used to dual boot

Feb 18, 2023
Id like to setup a PC used for home use and lab use. There are other users, non technical, that i need windows 10 for. Then id also like to use windows server for hyper v etc. So itd be preferable to install both OSes on the disks rather than going through virtualization. I have 2 hard drives and an SSD, windows 10 is setup on the SSD and Id like to use the second for windows server. Id like to backup/mirror data on both disks to the third, all disks are physically stored on the PC (no external drives), just wondering if its possible to set something like this up? Where 2 sepeate operating systems/disks are mirrored onto a third disk

"Mirrored".

Do you mean in an immediately bootable state, sometimes referred to as a clone?

Or do you mean in the form of an image file, not immediately bootable....but restorable to a drive at which point it would be bootable? Often referred to as a backup.

Feb 18, 2023
"Mirrored".

Do you mean in an immediately bootable state, sometimes referred to as a clone?

Or do you mean in the form of an image file, not immediately bootable....but restorable to a drive at which point it would be bootable? Often referred to as a backup.

Hi thanks for getting back to me, and sorry not to great at the lingo, i was thinking mirrored more in terms of raid 1, thought it might be a good way of getting some hands on experience with raid too.

Hi thanks for getting back to me, and sorry not to great at the lingo, i was thinking mirrored more in terms of raid 1, thought it might be a good way of getting some hands on experience with raid too.

You won't hear much good about RAID on this forum.

It has it's place, but not for the typical home user.

Maybe you are a corporation that needs 100 percent uptime above all else. Maybe you are interested purely for hobbyist/experiment reasons. I don't know.

I'd certainly think you could make separate images of each system with an app like Macrium, but I don't know how much "dual boot" might complicate that (if at all). I have no dual booted in 15 years or more.