[SOLVED] Can I set my NAT to open?

3Vis_N

Reputable
Jun 30, 2016
Hi, I want to set my NAT to open (especially for the game Call of Duty Warzone) but I think my connection doesn't support it.
My ISP, its name is E4a.it, gives me a static IP adress that is like 176.x.x.x and with subnetting and DHCP service it provides a connection like 192.168.x.x to all my devices.
My modem is Tenda W308R model and I tried all the possible methods found in internet such as port forwarding, uPnP, DMZ, disable Firewall, uninstall antiVirus, but it remains moderate.
I've already contacted my ISP and they answered me saying that the NAT was made between 176.x.x.x (public) and 176.x.x.x (private, router) and that I have to set up rules for port forwarding in the menu of my router, that I've already tried to do.
I've also checked if the ports are really opened but running the game, which use a 3074 TCP port and verifying the status of the port it says me that it's closed/filtered, so I don't know what I can do.
I've also read that with connection like 10.x.x.x and 176.x.x.x it's not possible to set the NAT to open, is that true? If not, can you help me? Thanks

Reactions: kattykat
Solution
If upnp is enabled it allows certain devices to open ports "dynamic" (as needed) on router. you can leave it on.
Wireshark is used to listen all network traffic... and is done from another computer on same network.
For your local computer you should use netstat to see your active connections.
Everything looks fine and should work as intended... if it does not, maybe your tenda is not compatible => consider changing it (or ignore nat type in that game - as its only "downgrade" is the ability to host multiplayer games - you can still join them).
You have to be very careful to not typo ip addresses. Addresses that start with 176 are public but many ip that start with 172 are private.

Although not the safest way you should be able to get it to work with DMZ. DMZ is much simpler to get configured than port forwarding on most routers.

Make very sure you get the correct ip address for the pc you want all the traffic to go to. The ip the device uses can change if you are not using static IP.

You need to determine if the data gets through the router or if your machine might not be responding. You can run wireshark on your machine and then run a port scan. You should see all the traffic coming in even if your machine never responds. The first time I would run a large number of ports since it will be very obvious in the wireshark capture.

Reactions: kattykat and 3Vis_N

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Take it one step at the time.
Just assign that static IP 176.x.x.x to your PC and try the game without router connected (isp cable to pc directly). If it is ok, then fiddle with router settings. If is not, check the PC firewall until it works.

Reactions: 3Vis_N

3Vis_N

Reputable
Jun 30, 2016
Thank you for the replies
Take it one step at the time.
Just assign that static IP 176.x.x.x to your PC and try the game without router connected (isp cable to pc directly). If it is ok, then fiddle with router settings. If is not, check the PC firewall until it works.
I connected the isp cable to pc directly without the router connected and running the game it said that the NAT was open. So I think the problem is with the router.

You have to be very careful to not typo ip addresses. Addresses that start with 176 are public but many ip that start with 172 are private.

Although not the safest way you should be able to get it to work with DMZ. DMZ is much simpler to get configured than port forwarding on most routers.

Make very sure you get the correct ip address for the pc you want all the traffic to go to. The ip the device uses can change if you are not using static IP.

You need to determine if the data gets through the router or if your machine might not be responding. You can run wireshark on your machine and then run a port scan. You should see all the traffic coming in even if your machine never responds. The first time I would run a large number of ports since it will be very obvious in the wireshark capture.

Now that I know that the problem isn't related to the PC and my WAN ip is public, I've already enabled the DMZ setting with the static IP of my device, so should I try using Wireshark? Can you help me with this application? Or send me a link to learn how to do it easily. Thanks

3Vis_N

Reputable
Jun 30, 2016
no need for wireshark...yet.
Just set in router webconfig the DHCP with a permanent lease for your PC mac address and assigned to it a fixed IP (make sure is in 192.168.x.x range so it won't conflict with your ISP IP)... then add THAT IP to DMZ. Or use https://portforward.com/call-of-duty-warzone/ to setup portforwarding and should work.
I've set the router's configuration like you said, I had already done it but I tried anyway, and the game said that the NAT was moderate again. I've uploaded the screenshots, what is blocking the communication? Thanks

SRAiRH0.png

V2e7Yxq.png

Rwe5kMY.png

3Vis_N

Reputable
Jun 30, 2016
Everything looks fine.... did you leave upnp/dmz enabled? Firewall on router is disabled?
If not, try disabling "Stateful inspection" and "Dynamic packet filtering"...
The uPnP is disabled because I'm using the Port Forwarding and the DMZ is enabled with my static ip of the pc.
I have no Firewall voice in the router's page so I think there isn't this option.
I tried to use Wireshark with the filter " tcp port 3074" but the game crashes after some seconds so I don't know if it catpured all the information. Thanks for the help

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
If upnp is enabled it allows certain devices to open ports "dynamic" (as needed) on router. you can leave it on.
Wireshark is used to listen all network traffic... and is done from another computer on same network.
Everything looks fine and should work as intended... if it does not, maybe your tenda is not compatible => consider changing it (or ignore nat type in that game - as its only "downgrade" is the ability to host multiplayer games - you can still join them).

Reactions: 3Vis_N
Solution

3Vis_N

Reputable
Jun 30, 2016
Ok thank you for your help. I'll try to use netstat and see if I find something or I will change the router. I want to solve the problem because I have some problem with the game using my connection (it always crashes after 20min of game)

3Vis_N

Reputable
Jun 30, 2016
I replaced the tenda router with an older one, a TP-LINK TL-WR340G and now it works. I don't know why the tenda W308R doesn't work with this type of thing but anyway, I resolved it. Thank you for your support