[SOLVED] Can I still use my Computer like normal with a broken capacitor.

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
(PLEASE READ) (My motherboard is B85M-E, and you can reply but I won't be able to answer) I am not good at soldering but I still want to use my motherboard like normal, even with the broken capacitor, but I am asking you because I am scared, I think it is called "short circuiting" and its scary. The capacitor was where the USB 3.0 slot was, so I think its just for the USB 3.0 connecter but still, can I please still use my Motherboard with the broken capacitor, and will it cause a fire? Thank you?

Solution
Do not turn on your system until you know what the capacitor did and if you know if its safe to post the system or not. For now keep it off and try to find a replacement capacitor otherwise you might short the system out and destroy everything inside your pc within a second. Seriously it only takes one POP and its gone
(PLEASE READ) (My motherboard is B85M-E, and you can reply but I won't be able to answer) I am not good at soldering but I still want to use my motherboard like normal, even with the broken capacitor, but I am asking you because I am scared, I think it is called "short circuiting" and its scary. The capacitor was where the USB 3.0 slot was, so I think its just for the USB 3.0 connecter but still, can I please still use my Motherboard with the broken capacitor, and will it cause a fire? Thank you?
If everything is working no problem, capacitors can't prevent fires.

Reactions: 847
A picture would be good about now.

Capacitors are used for many purposes, and many are redundant, so whether or not the 'missing' cap is an issue depends on several things. While a fire is unlikely (everything is contained within the metal computer case after all) it can be a hazard to the rest of the system. That's why knowing more about the type of capacitor and how cleanly it broke off is good to know... so a picture is helpful.

Depending on the type, some capacitors fail either to short or open circuit. If you have a multimeter (which you should if you were thinking of soldering), you should be able to figure out how it failed by poking across the capacitor's terminals with the continuity tester.

Or you could desolder the cap anyway. Caps are mostly used to filter signals, either by making a data signal cleaner or preventing a voltage input from sagging suddenly. So if anything, you'd just lose the ability to use that USB 3 port.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020
Do not turn on your system until you know what the capacitor did and if you know if its safe to post the system or not. For now keep it off and try to find a replacement capacitor otherwise you might short the system out and destroy everything inside your pc within a second. Seriously it only takes one POP and its gone

Solution