Question Can I stop Auto update in Windows 10 ?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
If you, any you, are "constantly" having Windows 10, any version, updating then something is wrong with your installation. It's that simple.

Do a repair install using whichever of the following three instruction sets you prefer:

Non-Destructive Repair of Windows 10 - Answers to commonly asked questions

Doing an In-place "Upgrade" to Reinstall Windows 10 Keeping Apps/Programs and User Files

How to: Perform a Repair Upgrade Using the Windows 10 ISO file

I've now updated 5 machines to Version 1903 and all are running just fine. This has been my experience with all the Feature Updates so far but one on one machine, and when it applied the second time it worked flawlessly. There are times when any update of any type can "burp" and have problems.

Windows 10 does not update any more frequently than earlier Windows did, with the exception of the Feature Updates, and those occur only once every six to nine months or so, on rare occasion even less frequently than that. Everything else is the typical "patch Tuesday" type update or the occasional cumulative update.

Reactions: gn842a

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
And what is 'dreaded' about it?
I have it running all my machines except one, and that only because I haven't plugged that system in for a while.

It is no more problematic than any other Windows update.

Well there are a number of AV vendors who are reporting instability issues with the 1903 update. One of them is mine (ESET) which has a notice on its web site alerting users to the issue. So....right now I'm using Windows Defender, I've had a large number of OS issues in getting this build up and running. My ESET subscription expires in September so it might be good to look around for an AV that doesn't get indigestion when Windows updates. Meantime the upstairs computer is on 8.1 OS and is running ESET and continues to be solid (knock on wood).

I had a great time with Windows 8.1 it was my most stable OS and I am thinking hard about reinstalling it. Never had a bad thing to say about it. I even preferred the way they did the start menu. It would buy me three years. But it's "old school" and I would have to get a new key for my new machine.

Currently Win 10 is up and running and I'm holding my breath. I really felt that I was fighting against Microsoft in this build. I've never been a great enthusiast, but I've never had this many issues with a new system, and I've used MS going back to the 80s.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
If you, any you, are "constantly" having Windows 10, any version, updating then something is wrong with your installation. It's that simple.

Thank you for the interesting links. I am not "constantly" having Windows updating because I've only had the system for about two weeks. But during those two weeks there have been some epic incidents and some reinstallations of the OS. So it might seem like it's constantly updating.

I would say more but it would be tedious to relate. My most difficult issue could not have been solved within windows because I would not have been authorized to do the repair. Onecloud moved me to a renamed account, it said it was "administrator" but there were no administrator powers in fact. I could see the old administrator account in users but it never came up on boot for entering a password or anything like that, and I could not add or subtract attributes to that account from the control panel. It was a checkmate. I reinstalled.

regards
Greg N

TRENDING THREADS