Can I Stream Gaming With My Current Set-Up?

Jul 18, 2018
Hello guys,

This is my first time on the forums so if this question has been asked a lot or I am asking in the wrong area, then I apologize.

I have recently decided I want to begin streaming gaming footage on Twitch. As I am new to this area I am not sure if my current set-up is sufficient enough and so I was hoping some of you more tech savvy individuals could point me in the right direction. While my current budget is not huge, I am of course open to upgrading where absolutely necessary. The end goal is to be able to stream at 1080p 60fps, however I would be more than happy to achieve 720p at 60fps for now. I will be using OBS. From what I have read I will ideally need an i7 cpu to achieve the former but again, if my i5 can do 720p then that seems like a good starting point.

My current specs:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Motherboard: MSI Z270 PC MATE Turbo M2

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz

Any advice you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Jun 1, 2018
With your current setup you can easily stream at 1080p, but with maybe some sort of lag (depending on what type of game), 720p easy. But it can depend on your internet connection, whether it being Ethernet or having a WiFi adapter.

Jul 18, 2018
Thank you very much for your reply ericrabago420, really appreciate it. My internet connection is 30mb wireless and I am pretty close to the modem so I think that should be ok. If needed I can run an Ethernet cable. I think I will aim for a 720p 60fps set up so and work my way up from there as I learn more.