[SOLVED] Can I swap a b450 tomahawk for a b550 tomahawk without reinstalling windows?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Im getting new parts. Im going from b450 tomahawk with a 2060 super and a 3800x, to b550 tomahawk with a 4070 ti and a 5900x.

I understand the cons of not reinstalling windows, but does anyone have any experience with this specific change? Should I 100% reinstall windows or can I get away with not doing it?

And yes I know I will have to reactivate windows but my windows key is connected to my microsoft account so not a big deal.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Im getting new parts. Im going from b450 tomahawk with a 2060 super and a 3800x, to b550 tomahawk with a 4070 ti and a 5900x.

I understand the cons of not reinstalling windows, but does anyone have any experience with this specific change? Should I 100% reinstall windows or can I get away with not doing it?

And yes I know I will have to reactivate windows but my windows key is connected to my microsoft account so not a big deal.

Thanks in advance.
You can try it but I'd definitely suggest doing a repair install with in-place upgrade at the least. Tell us how it goes and you'll have to buy a new Windows key to activate it because of the motherboard change.

As someone who's tried it twice (a B350 to B450, then B450 to...
So things like, downloads, documents, photos, video files, and my steam game library... stuff like that can be copied over.

Reinstall programs like Afterburner, Sony vegas, OBS, etc...

But in theory, I could still save my obs settings folders and such and copy them back over later yes?
If I may...take a step back...

It sounds like you're in a situation where you are generating revenue from your system and at the same time creating a huge data set you work with to do so. It seems to me you really need to take an seriously organized approach to how your set up this new system. Done right, it will facilitate future upgrades and making backups so that you don't "lose it all" in a major system crash or something of the sort. This seems to me to be the best time to be doing it.

Reactions: Jason H.
If I may...take a step back...

It sounds like you're in a situation where you are generating revenue from your system and at the same time creating a huge data set you work with to do so. It seems to me you really need to take an seriously organized approach to how your set up this new system. Done right, it will facilitate future upgrades and making backups so that you don't "lose it all" in a major system crash or something of the sort. This seems to me to be the best time.

I plan on buying a 5tb external in the near future to do weekly backups on. Thank you for the advice.

Point is to take a logical approach to where the OS is installed, the applications and the data is stored. Done right it could facilitate easy backups and as well make a single-drive crash and loss less traumatic.

Well the only files I really have that I need on the OS drive are my video program files, photoshop files, etc. I mean of course downloads and random photos and such too.. I have 1 game on the drive as well (can just copy n past it to a different library) ... not a major deal. And technically, all my "old" video files I dont even really care about once they are on youtube. I keep them sure. But its not like Im ever gonna go back and "re-edit" a video where I NEED to hold onto old video files. I delete the old footage after a month or 2 anyways to make more room on my storage drives. Was just trying to "cheat my way" out of actually doing it. I really do appreciate all the advice.

I will take more concern with backups in the very near future.

USAFRet

Titan
Well the only files I really have that I need on the OS drive are my video program files, photoshop files, etc. I mean of course downloads and random photos and such too.. I have 1 game on the drive as well (can just copy n past it to a different library) ... not a major deal. And technically, all my "old" video files I dont even really care about once they are on youtube. I keep them sure. But its not like Im ever gonna go back and "re-edit" a video where I NEED to hold onto old video files. I delete the old footage after a month or 2 anyways to make more room on my storage drives. Was just trying to "cheat my way" out of actually doing it. I really do appreciate all the advice.

I will take more concern with backups in the very near future.
In the context of your backups, don't simply just copy the whole /Documents /Music /Videos.....
Copying the Libraries will introduce permissions issues with a new OS install.
Instead, copy the data within those Library folders.

Reactions: Jason H.
In the context of your backups, don't simply just copy the whole /Documents /Music /Videos.....
Copying the Libraries will introduce permissions issues with a new OS install.
Instead, copy the data within those Library folders.

Good point. I will do that. Ill make a new folder on my storage drive called "documents" and then just copy all the files into that folder.

Then when I fresh install the OS, Ill copy the FILES back into the new documents folder.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS