[SOLVED] Can I swap the case of my Lenovo IdeaCentre i5 with a different one ?

Oct 23, 2020
I want to upgrade my pre-built lenovo Idea Centre i5 pc case but I don't know if it is possible. I am fairly new to PC stuff so I don't know what type of case to get either. Please help.

Solution
The psu looks proprietary.
I think the easiest and best thing to do would be to upgrade the graphics card to one that does not need added aux 6 pin power.
A GTX1650 or gtx1050ti would be a decent upgrade so long as no added 6 pin power is required.
Past that you really are looking at a new build.
depends on what they've included.

if it's a proprietary motherboard than it's standoffs may not match a standard case's motherboard tray.
if it's a proprietary power supply it also may not fit a standard case.

you would have to find internal images of the exact model and link them or take your own and do the same.

a shopping list of nicer looking mid-large ATX cases, mostly with better than average cooling and other features:
https://secure.newegg.com/wishlist/pd/34786767

Reactions: BLaQCaesar
Oct 23, 2020
depends on what they've included.

if it's a proprietary motherboard than it's standoffs may not match a standard case's motherboard tray.
if it's a proprietary power supply it also may not fit a standard case.

you would have to find internal images of the exact model and link them or take your own and do the same.

a shopping list of nicer looking mid-large ATX cases, mostly with better than average cooling and other features:
https://secure.newegg.com/wishlist/pd/34786767
Thanks for your reply, here are some images of the inside of my current pc (Lenovo Ideacentre 510a). Here's one image, and here's the other image. Please help.

looks like a Lenovo proprietary motherboard that is specifically designed to use that case.
power supply seems to be built-in. but you'd probably want to replace it anyway.

so to use a new case;
new motherboard & new power supply to go with it.
and most likely a new CPU cooler also.

Why do you want to change out the case?

The motherboard is proprietary.
You can see in the second image that the front usb ports must line up with the case.
Standard motherboards do not do that.

Next, the psu is proprietary.
You do not see a 24 pin main psu connector on the motherboard.

Oct 23, 2020
Why do you want to change out the case?

The motherboard is proprietary.
You can see in the second image that the front usb ports must line up with the case.
Standard motherboards do not do that.

Next, the psu is proprietary.
You do not see a 24 pin main psu connector on the motherboard.
I want to switch the case so that I can change the PSU. If I cant change the case can I at least change the psu?

Reactions: BLaQCaesar
Oct 23, 2020
Why do you want to change out the psu?
It also looks to be proprietary.
If you want to install a stronger discrete graphics card, something like a low profile GT1030 should work.
I already have a 1030 for a while and now I'm looking into future upgrades. For example a better psu. Is there a psu that would fit my case?

I think the easiest and best thing to do would be to upgrade the graphics card to one that does not need added aux 6 pin power.
A GTX1650 or gtx1050ti would be a decent upgrade so long as no added 6 pin power is required.

Solution
Oct 23, 2020
So is there actually no case in the world that can not fit a proprietary motherboard. I was able to find a better psu from the same manufacturer so all I need now is a case. There should be one case that could fit proprietary motherboards right?

USAFRet

Titan
So is there actually no case in the world that can not fit a proprietary motherboard. I was able to find a better psu from the same manufacturer so all I need now is a case. There should be one case that could fit proprietary motherboards right?
No.
That case and motherboard, and probably PSU, were designed around each other.

There is no generic case out there that fits a proprietary Lenovo motherboard.
That's the very definition of the word "proprietary".