[SOLVED] Can I switch the main Windows boot drive?

smtrejo

Honorable
Apr 11, 2017
Good day!

I have a desktop which boots Windows 10 x64 from a SSD. I plan to sell this PC so my idea is to unplug the SSD and connect a spare HDD to install WIndows 10 on it so it's ready when a buyer knocks on my door and keep the SSD for myself with my personal info. But I'd like to know, if after installing Windows on the HDD, can I unplug the HDD and connect back the SSD to boot from it again? I'd like to use this PC normally until it's sold (to use programs already installed), and just switch disks when needed.

I know I could dual-boot by connecting both devices at the same time but I don't want to do that for X or Y reason.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah, the SSD will pick up where it left off and boot just fine.

If you plan to reuse the SSD on a new system though (as a boot drive), it's highly recommended to reinstall your OS to it - you'll be migrating over an older install, potential driver conflicts etc otherwise.

Of course, if you just intend to use it for storage, you could just plug it in as a secondary drive.... Although you'd free up space backing up your data, formatting the SSD and then using it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, the SSD will pick up where it left off and boot just fine.

If you plan to reuse the SSD on a new system though (as a boot drive), it's highly recommended to reinstall your OS to it - you'll be migrating over an older install, potential driver conflicts etc otherwise.

Of course, if you just intend to use it for storage, you could just plug it in as a secondary drive.... Although you'd free up space backing up your data, formatting the SSD and then using it.

Reactions: smtrejo
Solution