Can i take graphics cards in my luggage to India?

Solution
i am not sure how customs works in india, but in the states you are required to state everything you bought overseas and the value. we are allowed a certain value and if you exceed that, or if a certain item exceeds a certain value cost on its own it gets a duty tax applied to it. it would be easier for you to check with customs or the customs website to see what the duty limit it.

though.. just because there is a duty limit and allowances does not mean that is the end of things.. if your purchases look like they were meant for resale they could investigate further but that is wholly in the hands of the customs officials.

i believe this may be what you're looking for...
A bag of gpu's? Sounds like more than one with the intent to sell them or something. If not declaring them properly it could lead to trouble since you'd essentially be 'smuggling' them in purposely hiding them to avoid tax fees.

Goat Fantasie

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Obviously i'd have to declare them but what are the limits?

Goat Fantasie

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Not all, there are allowances.

If you know there are allowances then why ask? I'm just confused because to start with you asked if there were any taxes. Goods originating in another country, especially with intent to sell, are going to be subject to tax. Even though it may seem small scale you're essentially assuming the role of 'importer' at that point.

Any tips I've seen given by people regarding this type of question involve the person travelling not being checked or removing packaging and packing 'discretely' in luggage. If you have to 'discretely' pack items to avoid detection it amounts to smuggling and is basically an attempt to circumvent the duties/taxes in place on incoming goods.

That's sort of like asking 'can I speed on the roadways without getting in trouble?' and getting an answer of 'so long as you don't get caught'. It's still breaking the law.

Common sense would say if you're that concerned and considering so many alternatives to avoid making proper declarations or payment, you sort of already know what you're attempting to do isn't legit.

I'm all for folks asking about resources or information on what sort of duties or taxes apply to them, how much they are etc. in order to be prepared. However asking how to circumvent such things isn't appropriate and shouldn't be asked on the forums.

http://www.immihelp.com/travel-to-india/baggage-allowance-rules/used-personal-effects.html

If it was a single graphics card intended for personal use or a gift, even if questioned by a customs agent their determination may be much different than if they ask you to open a piece of luggage and you have 10-20 gpu's loaded up in there. That's no longer 'personal use' and with a large number of items they may view all as imports subject to taxes/fees.

McHenryB

Admirable

One laptop computer or used personal possessions. Your graphics cards wouldn't be included in either category.

Goat Fantasie

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

I'm trying to find out what the allowances are for a foreign traveller.

I dont know what you are on about. Im not smuggling or attempting to, i might carry less than 8 items if i went.

All i want to know is what i can bring that is in my allowance & at what point i'd be crossing the line?.

If someone is allowed to bring a laptop in then a pc in parts shouldn't be out of the question as it is essentially the same thing.

I suppose its going to depend on how they see it.

Oh & please stop accusing me of doing stuff that im not doing. You are severely misguided & confused about my intentions.

If i have pay duty or have to declare things then i will. I AM NOT A SMUGGLER.

Do you understand?

Goat Fantasie

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Hmmm i would of thought computer parts owned by myself would be classed as "personal possessions".

McHenryB

Admirable

You can argue that with the customs officials. Note that they have to be pre-owned and not intended for resale. Your chances of convincing a customs official that a "bagfull" of graphics cards are for your personal use are slim IMO. I would start by collecting the invoices showing that these are not recent purchases (which would obviously be intended for resale).

Customs officials are not naive - they've seen it all before.

Goat Fantasie

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

A bagfull was a bit of an exaggeration tbh. Lets say i had 3 items that could be called personal effects.

Infact any amount that is within there own allowances should be fine. Isnt it like goods to the value of or something?

McHenryB

Admirable

You're obviously trying to avoid paying duty on items you intend to resell. I believe, and hope, that experienced customs officials will see through this in an instant. You'll probably end up with a fine far higher than the duty would be.

TBH, I doubt you would even be able to take one card in unless it was obviously not new and you had a receipt showing that you had owned it for some time.

i am not sure how customs works in india, but in the states you are required to state everything you bought overseas and the value. we are allowed a certain value and if you exceed that, or if a certain item exceeds a certain value cost on its own it gets a duty tax applied to it. it would be easier for you to check with customs or the customs website to see what the duty limit it.

though.. just because there is a duty limit and allowances does not mean that is the end of things.. if your purchases look like they were meant for resale they could investigate further but that is wholly in the hands of the customs officials.

i believe this may be what you're looking for
http://www.immihelp.com/travel-to-india/baggage-allowance-rules/indian-residents.html

@all
lets try to assume a less accusatory tone shall we and stick to plain facts or advice.

Solution