Question Can i transfer 980 pro heatsink to 990 pro?

Oct 6, 2023
I purchased a 1TB 990 Pro SSD and already have a 980 Pro 1TB with a heatsink. Can I transfer the heatsink from the 980 Pro to the 990 Pro? My motherboard is a MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk, and it lacks heat protection for SSD slot 1. Therefore, I'd like to install the 990 Pro with a heatsink in the first slot. What recommendations do you have for this situation?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know if heatsink can be transferred, maybe, but fyi your motherboard does have heatsink for all it's m2 slots. "M.2 Shield Frozr heatsink"

Im using Asus z590 Tuf m2 heatsink for my 990pro and does just fine. Your motherboard be no different.

Oct 6, 2023
That's a valid observation; I've just noticed a missing SSD heatsink on the motherboard. I purchased a pre-built PC, and the person responsible for assembling it may forget to put the heatsink for slot 1. I checked the box again there was none.o_O

You can install almost any sort of M.2 form factor heat sink. If the one attached to your 980 Pro is easily removable, then I also don't see why not.

Though unless you're really hammering the SSD with writes, they don't really need heat sinks.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That's a valid observation; I've just noticed a missing SSD heatsink on the motherboard. I purchased a pre-built PC, and the person responsible for assembling it may forget to put the heatsink for slot 1. I checked the box again there was none.o_O

There wouldn't be any reason to remove it as it's part of the motherboard. It's in your right to get it back.

Oct 6, 2023
You can install almost any sort of M.2 form factor heat sink. If the one attached to your 980 Pro is easily removable, then I also don't see why not.

Though unless you're really hammering the SSD with writes, they don't really need heat sinks.
Yeah probably i dont need one