Can I transfer Word from a old computer to a new one?

Gaming Freak

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Hello all, I recently built a new gaming computer and it doesn't have word on it. I was wondering if I could take the hard drive from my old computer (which has Word on it) and put it in my new computer as a second drive and have word on my new computer. Is there a way to do that?

Solution
The short and practical answer is "no." Due to the numerous registry entries and DLLs involved during original installation you will need to do an installation on the new computer. You can use the same Microsoft product key for continued support. Only so called "portable" software can have the executable directly copied from one system to another and still function.

coltswalker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
The short and practical answer is "no." Due to the numerous registry entries and DLLs involved during original installation you will need to do an installation on the new computer. You can use the same Microsoft product key for continued support. Only so called "portable" software can have the executable directly copied from one system to another and still function.

Solution

Memhorder

Distinguished
No you can't like colt said. But however you could install a completely free Word program that is just like it and read Word documents just fine. I use it and it works great. It's called Apache OpenOffice.

https://www.openoffice.org/

Did I say free?

You could possibly grab all the documents off that hard drive though and use this program to open.

Memhorder

Distinguished

Just wondering.......Do you have the product key for MS Office? You could also possibly transfer that licence key to your new computer. Apache Open office is just as good if not better though

coltswalker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
I have used OpenOffice and still use it from time to time. It is a very good product. I also recommend giving it a try as an alternative to Micro$oft. My son uses LibreOffice on his Ubuntu system I built for him. Like OpenOffice it is also free. I believe LibreOffice uses OpenOffice as the underlying program logic. Both run on Windows as well as Mac and Linux.