Can I trust newegg open box?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
i would never buy a mobo that was open box... but i would buy an open box cpu, and maybe even a video card if I knew for sure it ran cool. (I wouldnt feel very good about buying an open box card that idles at 70C like many cards do.)

pauldh

Illustrious
I have bought dozens of refurb / open box cards from Newegg. Some come bad, so test them right away and within 15 days they will give a refund once you ship it back.

But I stay away from them now myself as the savings is not as good as it used to be and many of mine have died down the road. Even ones only occasionally used seemed to die after a year or so. Anyway, I figure about 1 out of every 4 (25%) of the refurbs I have bought from them have since died, which isn't a great track record IMO.

I'm not bashing Newegg at all though, I just don't trust the open box items anymore. I have a monsterous order history with them that has only been slowed in growth because of them now charging NJ sales tax. Otherwise they are top notch and taken care of me well when there has been a problem. If they are about the same price shipped to me, Newegg will always get my orders. But with tax, ZZF or others often blow them away in price to NJ.

Beeraydee

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
In my case, the answer is a resounding NO!!!!, you cannot trust NewEgg open box. I ordered a 40" TV open box after reading this forum. The TV arrived as expected looking like it had been previously opened. What I didn't expect was the base to be worn (it looked like it had been rubbed until the finish was faded in places) and worst of all there was a freaking hole in the bottom left corner of the screen. It looked like someone had stabbed it with a screwdriver or hit it with a hammer. Clearly New Egg received this back as an RMA, didn't bother to do even the most basic inspection of it, packaged it up, and put it on the site for sale as an open box. They basically shipped me a piece of defective garbage, effectively wasting my time and money. They say I will have to pay to ship it back to them. I've yet to find out if they will charge me a restocking fee.

NeweggSupport

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

Hi Beeraydee,

I regret to hear that your recent shopping experience with us was less than stellar. I also regret to hear that the open box TV you purchased didn't meet your expectations. Considering that you're returning the TV to us, I see you have concerns about paying for return shipping costs and whether a restocking fee will be charged.

Please email your order to wecare@newegg.com so we can help you out further with this matter. We look forward to hearing from you.

-Eugene