Question can i trust this x99 mobo?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Might be worthwhile to do a little hunting (perhaps Google pic search) to see if you can find who makes in and then to see if you can find a review of it. A lot of these 'Ali Express' level parts can be a real crap-shoot, but sometimes they are a workable solution. X99 is getting up in years now and won't be long before the older ones start losing caps and such.

The biggest issue with it is the BIOS. Motherboard manufacturer's are responsible for their BIOS. That one may not have the performance or security that you get from a major brand.

Brands to look for..

ASRock
ASUS
Biostar
EVGA
Foxconn
Gigabyte
MSI
SuperMicro

and maybe a few others. But you won't find a lot in X99, so choices will be limited.

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
Might be worthwhile to do a little hunting (perhaps Google pic search) to see if you can find who makes in and then to see if you can find a review of it. A lot of these 'Ali Express' level parts can be a real crap-shoot, but sometimes they are a workable solution. X99 is getting up in years now and won't be long before the older ones start losing caps and such.
looking at the images provided, they say its machinist, which i think is an ali express brand, i could look that up rq.
edit: theres one just like it on ali express and same brand: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805762234693.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.716aaaTwaaTwjD&algo_pvid=de26a829-7167-4c26-ae0d-012757a2f936&algo_exp_id=de26a829-7167-4c26-ae0d-012757a2f936-0&pdp_npi=4@dis!EUR!112.51!33.02!!!849.16!249.24!@2101e81117132021493775032e4067!12000034984929546!sea!US!0!AB&curPageLogUid=8USNYu6WYlVV&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

Reactions: artk2219
What are you trying to do with this system? If it's mission critical you should probably be looking for a whole other platform, but if you can find a good quality used MSI or Gigabyte board that's the way to go. If it's something to just mess around with then pretty much any of the boards out of China are going to be fine. You'll just want to make sure the chipset is actually X99 as a lot are "X99" boards with non-X99 chipsets. The one linked in the OP is one of those that doesn't have the X99 chipset so while it would work personally I'd steer clear.

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
What are you trying to do with this system? If it's mission critical you should probably be looking for a whole other platform, but if you can find a good quality used MSI or Gigabyte board that's the way to go. If it's something to just mess around with then pretty much any of the boards out of China are going to be fine. You'll just want to make sure the chipset is actually X99 as a lot are "X99" boards with non-X99 chipsets. The one linked in the OP is one of those that doesn't have the X99 chipset so while it would work personally I'd steer clear.
im looking for a budget 300$ system to down grade to, as im currently using integrated graphics and its just not cutting it. i found 5th gen i7s and xeons for cheap, and they seem to preform great for the moment.

I've played with a couple of these machinist boards before, they came in a parts bundle i purchased. The biggest issues are support, the BIOS isn't amazing, and they will sometimes freeze when coming out of sleep mode. So long as you're not using it for anything mission critical, and are good with using hibernate instead of sleep, it'll be fine. I cant speak to how long it'll last, but it worked fine as a board to mess around with. Also I wouldn't expect, nor recommend much overclocking with it. These boards are basically made from recycled parts, e-waste gets sent to china, and is stripped down, and then sorted. What they do then is rather than crushing and recycling a bunch of good chipsets and components, they rebuild them into cheap boards. They mention B85, C226, and Q85 as the chipsets used, meaning its luck of the draw. I love the ingenuity behind products like these, basically giving cast offs a new life.

Last edited:

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
I've played with a couple of these machinist boards before, they came in a parts bundle i purchased. The biggest issues are support, the BIOS isn't amazing, and they will sometimes freeze when coming out of sleep mode. So long as you're not using it for anything mission critical, and are good with using hibernate instead of sleep, it'll be fine. I cant speak to how long it'll last, but it worked fine as a board to mess around with. Also I wouldn't expect, nor recommend much overclocking with it. These boards are basically made from recycled parts, e-waste gets sent to china, and is stripped down, and then sorted. What they do then is rather than crushing and recycling a bunch of good chipsets and components, they rebuild them into cheap boards. They mention B85, C226 and Q85 as the chipsets used, meaning its luck of the draw. I love the ingenuity behind products like these, basically giving cast offs a new life.
yeah, im just using it for basic esports titles, but thats about it. but, if i was trying to have a long lasting system, would the 4th gen i7 be a bad pick with a asus mobo?

yeah, im just using it for basic esports titles, but thats about it. but, if i was trying to have a long lasting system, would the 4th gen i7 be a bad pick with a asus mobo?
It would, if you want it to last a little while, I would look at AM4 or LGA 1700 if you can find a decent used combo on the market. LGA 1200 isn't terrible either, but more limited than AM4 or LGA 1700, do you live near a microcenter?

Last edited:
Reactions: jordanbuilds1
X99 is now 10 years old and likely costs about the same as an AM4 system that will outperform it and offer more features and security. Plus, you can run Windows 11.

*Edit: I just saw the i7-5820K is $25 on eBay. I also saw good motherboards for around $100. Not a bad deal if you're into building systems.

Last edited:
X99 is now 10 years old and likely costs about the same as an AM4 system that will outperform it and offer more features and security. Plus, you can run Windows 11.

*Edit: I just saw the i7-5820K is $25 on eBay. I also saw good motherboards for around $100. Not a bad deal if you're into building systems.
You also have the option of unlocked Xeons, these ones below can be had pretty cheaply. If you're a tinkerer looking for a cheap platform to play around with, you could do much worse than X99. That said, if you want something with some more longevity, AM4 or LGA 1700 are the way to go.

Haswell-EP:
E5-1650 v3
E5-1660 v3
E5-1680 v3

Last edited:

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
You also have the option of unlocked Xeons, these ones below can be had pretty cheaply. If you're a tinkerer looking for a cheap platform to play around with, you could do much worse than X99. That said, if you want something with some more longevity, AM4 or LGA 1700 are the way to go.

Haswell-EP:
E5-1650 v3
E5-1660 v3
E5-1680 v3

would a e3 1240 v2 plat also be fine?

would a e3 1240 v2 plat also be fine?
That is X79, the previous HEDT platform before X99 and the CPU's are not compatible between the two. X79 is 13 years old at this point, I cant say I would recommend it. That V2 Xeon basically has the same specs as an I7 3770K. I mean, I guess if its SUPER cheap, like SUPER SUPER cheap, eh, maybe you can play around with it. Even then it would be better to go for like a Xeon E5 1660 or 1680 (V2).

Last edited:

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
That is X79, the previous HEDT platform before X99, X79 is 13 years old at this point, I cant say I would recommend it. That V2 Xeon basically has the same specs as an I7 3770K.
would it be fair with something like a gtx 970 and 16 gigs of ram in Rocket League?

would it be fair with something like a gtx 970 and 16 gigs of ram in Rocket League?
Honestly, for rocket league it would be fine, it would perform about like in the video below since a GTX 1650 and GTX 970 have about the same level of performance. That said, for anything newer, it wouldn't be the best experience, I'd at least suggest you look at a Xeon E5 1660 or 1680 (V2) and pump the clocks on those. At 4.4 ghz or so, those should perform around like a Ryzen 7 2600 and 2700 respectively, but that would be the max performance you could get out of that setup. You could also pickup an AM4 board with one of those chips and not have to go through an overclock to get that performance, and more importantly, have an upgrade path.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUeYH1xkh1Q

Latest posts