Question Can I update my bios without a CPU

Sep 20, 2024
So, I have a very crappy pc, and wanted to upgrade a while ago but college happened money was low. But my friend found a board he never used from 2020 and said I could have it for free. Had a look at the cpu’s and best value was ryzen 5 5600. So 110€ for a 150% performance increase is just great. But the cpu only supports the motherboard with the f55 update. My friend never used the motherboard meaning, it hasn’t been updated from 2020 (before the f55 update) so that’s why I’ve asked if you could update without a cpu, as even if i put the cpu into it, it supposedly wouldn’t boot. Board name is Gigabyte A320M-S2H v1

Last edited:
Your friend has a Gigabyte motherboard.

You have a PC with a Ryzen 5 processor.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what's on your mind.

Do you want to install your friend's motherboard into your PC?

That board supports "Q-Flash", which Gigabyte says allows you to "update the system BIOS without having to enter operating systems like MS-DOS or Windows first."

No mention of it allowing you to update the BIOS without a CPU.

Sep 20, 2024
No I was planning on buying a cpu for his motherboard. Which is the ryzen 5 5600 which needs an update. He doesn’t have a cpu for it btw.

What does your PC have to do with his situation of having a motherboard with no CPU?

The Gigabyte A320M-S2H v1 apparently does support the Ryzen 5 5600.

If you had a working PC with that motherboard and that CPU, I'd assume you could update the BIOS if you wanted. If you did NOT have a CPU, I'd guess repeat guess you could NOT update the BIOS.

I doubt if I am understanding your intent.

Sep 20, 2024
What does your PC have to do with his situation of having a motherboard with no CPU?

The Gigabyte A320M-S2H v1 apparently does support the Ryzen 5 5600.

If you had a working PC with that motherboard and that CPU, I'd assume you could update the BIOS if you wanted. If you did NOT have a CPU, I'd guess repeat guess you could NOT update the BIOS.

I doubt if I am understanding your intent.
No worries probably my fault cut corners on the story behind it. So, I have a very crappy pc, and wanted to upgrade a while ago but college happened money was low. But my friend found a board he never used from 2020 and said I could have it for free. Had a look at the cpu’s and best value was ryzen 5 5600. So 110€ for a 150% performance increase is just great. But the cpu only supports the motherboard with the f55 update. My friend never used the motherboard meaning, it hasn’t been updated from 2020 (before the f55 update) so that’s why I’ve asked if you could update without a cpu, as even if i put the cpu into it, it supposedly wouldn’t boot

No worries probably my fault cut corners on the story behind it. So, I have a very crappy pc, and wanted to upgrade a while ago but college happened money was low. But my friend found a board he never used from 2020 and said I could have it for free. Had a look at the cpu’s and best value was ryzen 5 5600. So 110€ for a 150% performance increase is just great. But the cpu only supports the motherboard with the f55 update. My friend never used the motherboard meaning, it hasn’t been updated from 2020 (before the f55 update) so that’s why I’ve asked if you could update without a cpu, as even if i put the cpu into it, it supposedly wouldn’t boot
OK.

Assuming you are correct about the 5600 not being usable on that board on any BIOS earlier than F55.............and assuming the board does NOT have F55...............I'd guess you are out of luck.

Unless you can beg or borrow a CPU that IS supported by your earlier BIOS. From another friend? Maybe pay a repair shop 20 euros to update it? Buy such a CPU used on Ebay, update your BIOS, and then resell the CPU?

Some boards do support updating the BIOS without a CPU, but that board apparently lacks that capability.

TRENDING THREADS