[SOLVED] Can i update my bios?

Feb 13, 2021
My motherboard is MSI Z170A and my CPU is i7-6700k

I checked a reddit thread and it made me little scared to update.

And when I check my bios version it only says 1.0

Can I just update to

Version
7984vAF
Release Date
2018-06-23

Solution
well, that is odd, the MSI website isn't showing me any drivers or BIOS so I can't really say.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/z170a-krait-gaming#down-bios
if you can see page and bios, most of time MSI show a link to a YouTube video about how to update bios. Should be at top left of BIOS page.

Its an intel CPU, you should be fine updating. I only mention CPU as some AMD motherboard are restrictive as to what CPU can be updated to what bios.

Don't update if you likely to lose power half way through or during a storm.

You should be fine, there are just horror stories about everything these days :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why do you want to update bios? its not something you do on a whim
It can break motherboard but the chances of that are pretty small, its just something to take into account

Which MSI Z170A as there are a few, I am curious why that bios? is it newest?

Feb 13, 2021
Idk I'm just trying to fix input lag on my mouse and I'm trying everything.
I got the MSI Z170A Krait Gaming (MS-7A11)
Yeah I think its the latest.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, that is odd, the MSI website isn't showing me any drivers or BIOS so I can't really say.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/z170a-krait-gaming#down-bios
if you can see page and bios, most of time MSI show a link to a YouTube video about how to update bios. Should be at top left of BIOS page.

Its an intel CPU, you should be fine updating. I only mention CPU as some AMD motherboard are restrictive as to what CPU can be updated to what bios.

Don't update if you likely to lose power half way through or during a storm.

You should be fine, there are just horror stories about everything these days :)

Solution