[SOLVED] Can I update my GPU to RTX 2060 with i5-3330?

kaustubbhh

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
I know this is a huge bottleneck but just wanted to know will this harm my new GPU or should I just wait to update everything together?
I want to update my GPU from GT610 to RTX 2060 for high/mid-level gaming and maybe next year I will update my other system, so wanted to future proof myself with 2060, Will update PSU to GIGABYTE P650B SMPS - 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certification PSU With Active PFC
My specs:
i5-3330
8 GB (1333 MHz)

Open to all suggestions

Solution
Any discrete graphics card upgrade will give you a good boost in gaming compared to a GT610.
The psu you need will be determined by the graphics card you pick.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
A GTX2060, for example would like a 480w psu.

When you buy a power supply, buy the best. It will be a long term investment.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Do not buy a cheap unit whatever you do.
Here is one list of psu quality...
Sep 6, 2020
if u updgade gpu do it with cpu also it would be very better , because cpu is gpu gives limited performance than it could give . consider buying buying gpu with new cpu. if u can still wait buy rysen 4000 series cpu best pair with rtx 2060

Reactions: kaustubbhh
Sep 6, 2020
if u updgade gpu do it with cpu also it would be very better , because cpu is gpu gives limited performance than it could give . consider buying buying gpu with new cpu. if u can still wait buy rysen 4000 series cpu best pair with rtx 2060
and new ram also go for 16 gb 3000mhz+ for best for performance and buy new motherboard go for b550

I know this is a huge bottleneck but just wanted to know will this harm my new GPU or should I just wait to update everything together?
I want to update my GPU from GT610 to RTX 2060 for high/mid-level gaming and maybe next year I will update my other system, so wanted to future proof myself with 2060, Will update PSU to GIGABYTE P650B SMPS - 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certification PSU With Active PFC
My specs:
i5-3330
8 GB (1333 MHz)

Open to all suggestions
You have a really old platfrom,consider upgrading the whole pc.
Here is what u can do with 1200$ budget:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XtzRjp <-- GPU is 500$
Here is a 1000$ build:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RMzRjp
800$:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/byGDp8
600$:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R4rXCL
for the 400$ just dont put a gpu from 600$ build.
There is hardly anything u can find below 400$ that will game these days

Last edited:

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Maybe a 1660 Super will do you a little better(in terms of bottleneck). Honestly even an RX 580 8GB(or 4gb) should be fine for 1080p 60Hz displays. A 1660 Super should be good for 1440p. On my RX 580 4gb(would recommend the 8gb for about 30 dollars more), I run R6 at 1080p, high-max settings at around 134fps. I do cap fps at 60 though(since I use a 60Hz monitor).

My specs:
i5-3330
8 GB (1333 MHz)

Open to all suggestions
i forgot to mention,why would you go with a gigabyte psu.I have never heard of it and in my opinion is better to keep it safe with power supply,they can kill your whole system if they malfunction.Its better off to go with a more popular and reliable psu's,since i dont think that gigabyte psu is 'good'

Any discrete graphics card upgrade will give you a good boost in gaming compared to a GT610.
Here is a handy chart:

It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Here is one list of psu quality:
Look for tier 1/2, no more than 3.

While your cpu is a bit weak, you will game much better with fast action games.
Here is a test to try:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Even if you are cpu limited, any graphics modern card can be moved to a new upgrade.

Reactions: dchen2105
Solution

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Here is a handy chart:

Here is one list of psu quality:
Look for tier 1/2, no more than 3.

While your cpu is a bit weak, you will game much better with fast action games.
Here is a test to try:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Even if you are cpu limited, any graphics modern card can be moved to a new upgrade.
This guy is right, listen to him. I do feel as though PSU is bad choice and that an RTX 2060 Super may be unnecessary. If you can find one used, that would be ideal.

A several generations old i5 is getting a bit aged with but four cores/threads...

Framerate will indeed increase massively at 1080P and above, but now with great details/quality turned on, but, naturally, there will be extra FPS waiting to be had by newer/faster/more CPU cores/threads more/faster RAM...

Reactions: Dj0gany