Can i upgrade a newer GPU to this outdated PC?

StrelokS

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Excuse me. I would like to know would any of these following cards would be upgradeable on my pc specs.

Which one of these would be the right choice: GeForce 660, Radeon r9 270x, r9 270, r7 260x.

I am also not sure if my PSU good enough for any of these cards. I am actually planning on getting a new PC but i can't wait, so i decided to get the GPU first and later transfer it to the new one.

Here are my current specs:
GPU:Radeon HD 5670 1GB
CPU:Intel Core i3 CPU 530 2.93GHz
RAM: 1x2GB 1333MHz 1x4GB 1600MHz
HDD:WDC WD6400AAKS-65A7B2 ATA Device 640GB
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2H
PSU:MS-PRO-550ATX P4 550W
Casing:ATX Linkworld 40W

Solution
Honestly dude, be patient and save money for another two months, or wait for the start of summer to do any upgrades, you should be focusing on school or work lol

I'd just sell your old system, if not as a whole, then part it out for cheap, maybe make $200 off of it. then put this towards a whole new system
you CAN put one of those cards in, but they will be bottlenecked by roughly 30% or more due to the older cpu. My recommendation would be to upgrade the other parts before upgrading the gpu. the 270x is obviously faster than the 270, and the 260x of course, as well as the 660 is a little slower than the 260x. It's about what you are willing to spend on a gpu at the moment, and how much money you'd like to save for a future upgrade.

as far as your psu is concerned, it would be good enough for the 660 and 260x, but being such a low quality psu, i would NOT even think about trying it with any higher powered cards (the 270x requires 2 6 pin anyways, and i'm pretty sure if only has one)

wattage isnt everything when it comes to power supplies. that particular one is of fairly low quality, having a poor 12v rail system. anything below the 270 is fine, but as soon as you get up to needing 2 6 pin power cords for a gpu, that psu is not going to do it

Exactly, a quality one can. I wouldn't put a 270x on 450w though. The PSU in his current PC, however, is NOT a decent PSU.

StrelokS

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Additional info:
I will be buying a new PC in about 2-3 months.
Here are the specs:
GPU: Radeon R9 270X( or one of the other ones i mentioned before)
CPU: AMD FX-8320
RAM: 2x 4GB 1600MHz
SSD: SSD 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDD: Samsung 2TB HD204UI
Mobo: MB Asus M5A78L-M LX3 AM3+

So i would be using the new GPU for 2-3 months and then putting it in the new PC. Right now i am thinking about 270x.
I just want to know will my PSU cause problems. I will pick a solution after a few more answers. Thank you.

Honestly dude, be patient and save money for another two months, or wait for the start of summer to do any upgrades, you should be focusing on school or work lol

I'd just sell your old system, if not as a whole, then part it out for cheap, maybe make $200 off of it. then put this towards a whole new system

Solution

Trave

Honorable
May 22, 2013
THe 750ti will be your safest pick,it is better than r7 260x a little and also a little bit weaker than gtx 660.If I were you maybe you should just endure the 2-3 months and get a 270x or better gfx card,worth it!

I unselected it for you lol

And good decision. The 750 Ti is a great card, but I didn't want you buying something like that now, and then buying a high end system that is limited to it lol