Can i upgrade my CPU?

markus.koli

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
I bought Ryzen 5 1400 CPU for my new computer, and now i am thinking that how much can i upgrade my CPU with these specs i have. Or is there any limitation? i was thinking about Ryzen 5 1600x

Asus Prime B350M-A AMD B350
8GB Corsair Vengeance
4GB MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 4G OC
275GB Crucial MX300 2.5
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 4x 3.20GHz
520 Watt Seasonic S12II

Thanks!

Solution
As I understand it, the extra threads do help with streaming. So if it is important enough to you, then it may well be worth the upgrade. Additional factors like your specific set up, encoding and whether you use CPU encoding or additional hardware like OBS(?) will also play a role.

GamersNexus do some streaming benchmarks which may be worth referencing for general information, though a quick search seems to indicate they haven't benched the 1600x for streaming.

markus.koli

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
I used bottleneck calculator an it said that Your GPU is too weak for this processor, when i put ryzen 5 1600x with RX 580. But i heard that this calculator is pure rubbish, what do you think? My Friend said i could easily upgrade to ryzen 7 1700x without any issues with games or other stuff.

The Ryzen CPUs aren't the best gaming CPUs. Generally speaking that accolade belongs to Intel's line-up. What the Ryzen CPUs are good for are multi-threaded applications which some games may be able to take advantage of.

As for bottlenecking? Personally it isn't really something I concern myself with (hence the wrong person to address it), because there is likely a bottleneck in any system - it isn't limited to the CPU and graphics card. I prefer to think of whether the system is well balanced.

When considering the graphics, then the monitor refresh rate should also be considered. I'm of the mind that if you have a PC which can produce 200 fps in a specific game, but only have a monitor with a refresh rate of 60 Hz; then it's poorly balanced. Those sort of calculators can only give a generalisation at best, so I would take it with a pinch of salt as it were. Better to find benchmarks of the software you use for a better picture and understanding (in my opinion).

That said, the RX 580 is approximately at the same level as a GTX 1060. The two cards are fairly even (with variations across games), and the 1060 is considered to be a good 1080p card. If the performance you are currently getting now is satisfactory, then I would say there isn't any need to be concerned about bottlenecking.

That also said, what would the purpose of upgrading the CPU be? While more cores is better for future proofing, it will depend on what applications you plan to use which can take advantage of it. Gaming development is slow moving, and I suspect it will be a while before we see all these cores being properly used in the majority of games.

We'll likely see the next generation of Ryzen CPUs before the majority of game development truly optimising for multi-threaded CPUs. Games are still reliant upon a good IPC (the advantage Intel has). While there is some difference between the 1400 and the 1600x. I don't think it's worth the upgrade for current gaming, but again it will depend on the applications you're running.

Sorry, not a great deal of help.

100% in agreement with Obakasama.

You're better off keeping your 1400 at the minute unless you really think you're having m performance issues.

Which I doubt because that's pretty well balanced

You should be overclocking that chip a little rather than running at stock by the way.
3.5-3.7 is easily doable on the stock cooler & that's more than enough to push a 4gb 580.

markus.koli

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
The main reason for the upgrade is that i started streaming on twitch. Ofc i am able to stream with 1400, but not with high settings. So i heard that 6 core Cpu would be more suitable for streaming. Not sure if that makes huge difference to it.

As I understand it, the extra threads do help with streaming. So if it is important enough to you, then it may well be worth the upgrade. Additional factors like your specific set up, encoding and whether you use CPU encoding or additional hardware like OBS(?) will also play a role.

GamersNexus do some streaming benchmarks which may be worth referencing for general information, though a quick search seems to indicate they haven't benched the 1600x for streaming.

Solution