[SOLVED] Can i upgrade my GPU for my old PC?

Sayed Ali Ahmed

Honorable
Apr 11, 2015
i have an old PC with the following components:
GPU: 970 Nvidia G1 Gaming
CPU: 3770 I7 3.40 GHz
RAM: 24 G DDR3
MotherBoard: asrock fatal1ty z77 professional

my question is; will i be able to upgrade my GPU or not? i will also change my power supply to support higher card

Solution
thx for ur answer, i would like to play game like avengers and RDR2 on ultra setting. so this can be done by just upgrading the GPU?

Yeah I think the 3770 is still fast enough for those games - what resolution do you game at, 1080p?

Here is a scaling benchmark looking at RDR2 on different graphics cards:

They cover the game at 1080p, 1440p and 4k resolutions, assuming you are looking for 1080p, to get 60+ fps at high settings you need a GTX 1660 series card (the 1660 Super is usually the best value option) or possibly an RTX 2060 / 2060 Super.

On the AMD graphics cards side of things, the RX 5600 XT and RX 5700 cards are worth looking at. I think...
i have an old PC with the following components:
GPU: 970 Nvidia G1 Gaming
CPU: 3770 I7 3.40 GHz
RAM: 24 G DDR3
MotherBoard: asrock fatal1ty z77 professional

my question is; will i be able to upgrade my GPU or not? i will also change my power supply to support higher card

Yes you would be able to put a newer gpu into that machine... at lower resolutions (and with the faster cards) the cpu might hold a newer card back a bit so there is a limit of how far it makes sense to go GPU wise....

What games do you want to play and at what settings?

Reactions: Sayed Ali Ahmed

Sayed Ali Ahmed

Honorable
Apr 11, 2015
Yes you would be able to put a newer gpu into that machine... at lower resolutions (and with the faster cards) the cpu might hold a newer card back a bit so there is a limit of how far it makes sense to go GPU wise....

What games do you want to play and at what settings?
thx for ur answer, i would like to play game like avengers and RDR2 on ultra setting. so this can be done by just upgrading the GPU?

Last edited:

Yeah I think the 3770 is still fast enough for those games - what resolution do you game at, 1080p?

Here is a scaling benchmark looking at RDR2 on different graphics cards:

They cover the game at 1080p, 1440p and 4k resolutions, assuming you are looking for 1080p, to get 60+ fps at high settings you need a GTX 1660 series card (the 1660 Super is usually the best value option) or possibly an RTX 2060 / 2060 Super.

On the AMD graphics cards side of things, the RX 5600 XT and RX 5700 cards are worth looking at. I think any of those cards would be a decent fit for your machine. I don't think going for a faster card than these would make much sense as your cpu would hold them back.

For reference, your current GTX 970 is roughly on par with the GTX 1650 / 1060 3gb cards. It's still reasonably capable.

Solution
Yes, you can install any modern graphics card you want on that motherboard.
The limitation will be the capability of your power supply.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Consider a quality power supply as a long term investment.
They do not go obsolete easily.
I like the seasonic focus units with 7 or 10 year warranties.

Here is a easy test to see how your processor might respond to a stronger graphics card:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Reactions: cdrkf