[SOLVED] Can i upgrade my motherboard?

Apr 14, 2020
I have an old hp e9280t with a Pegatron Truckee Motherboard and I'm wondering If I can upgrade to a better one. My end goal with this pc is to make it better on a budget.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Win 7 64bit ( I was running Windows 10 but a lot of things for this pc werent supported, Mainly the GPU)
i7 920 cpu ( should I upgrade this?)
9gb ram
ATI RADEON HD 4800 ( I'm ditching this gpu for a evga gtx 660)

Thanks in advance?

Solution
Well you could, yes.
It's an mATX form factor, utilizing a standard 24pin ATX + 4pin EPS.

HOWEVER, beyond overclocking capabilities, there's nothing really to be gained in upgrading the motherboard of all things.

That board should still be capable of running Windows 10. The GPU not being supported is an easy fix if you're upgrading.

For a budget system, an i7-920 can still do a half-decent job, to a point, depending on the GPU in question. There may be compatible Xeon's you could drop in there, but the board is limited to 130W TDPs and may/probably lacks BIOS support for Xeons.

For a budget system, the CPU should suffice.... 8-16GB of RAM (8GB if pairing with a GTX660), and SSD and a decent GPU (and decent PSU to run it).
Of...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Well you could, yes.

HOWEVER, beyond overclocking capabilities, there's nothing really to be gained in upgrading the motherboard of all things.

That board should still be capable of running Windows 10. The GPU not being supported is an easy fix if you're upgrading.

For a budget system, an i7-920 can still do a half-decent job, to a point, depending on the GPU in question. There may be compatible Xeon's you could drop in there, but the board is limited to 130W TDPs and may/probably lacks BIOS support for Xeons.

For a budget system, the CPU should suffice.... 8-16GB of RAM (8GB if pairing with a GTX660), and SSD and a decent GPU (and decent PSU to run it).
Of all the potential places to 'upgrade'/spend money, the motherboard should be your least priority.

Solution
Apr 14, 2020
Well you could, yes.

Of all the potential places to 'upgrade'/spend money, the motherboard should be your least priority.
The evga gtx 660 sc is getting here tmm. I think its a far better upgrade than the one I currently have. I was hoping to upgrade the motherboard to be able to overclock the i7 to somewhere btw 3.2-3.7. Any recommendations? For a motherboad, ssd and psu? Thanks !