Question Can i upgrade (replace) an onboard 4gb ram(solderd)

Jan 6, 2022
i Have a acer aspire 3 a315 56 i5 502x
Cause i have a empty slot for ram that i want to put in a kingston 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM and am planning to duel channel cause when bying i thought when they say there are 2 slot for rams , they mean that there 2 free slot and not 1 solderd and 1 free
Thankyou !

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What are the specs of the memory that's soldered onto the motherboard? While here, you might want to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. As for your ram upgrade question, did you physically disassemble the laptop? You should be able to drop in a DDR4-3200MHz 16GB stick of laptop ram into the laptop to get a cumulative 20GB but don't think it's going to let you game on said laptop, since the laptop wasn't meant for gaming(more like light gaming) and geared towards productivity and multitasking(multi tabbed browsing and multiple app's).

The ram won't be running in dual channel in the purest sense, rather a form of flex mode since in order for dual channel to work properly you need two identical sticks of ram, all the way down to the voltage, frequency and timings.

Most often I've seen sales representatives not know what a laptop can or can't do, one of which is whether a laptop has the option for ram upgrades. So I'm assuming they are sales representatives in your region.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What are the specs of the memory that's soldered onto the motherboard? While here, you might want to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. As for your ram upgrade question, did you physically disassemble the laptop? You should be able to drop in a DDR4-3200MHz 16GB stick of laptop ram into the laptop to get a cumulative 20GB but don't think it's going to let you game on said laptop, since the laptop wasn't meant for gaming(more like light gaming) and geared towards productivity and multitasking(multi tabbed browsing and multiple app's).

The ram won't be running in dual channel in the purest sense, rather a form of flex mode since in order for dual channel to work properly you need two identical sticks of ram, all the way down to the voltage, frequency and timings.

Most often I've seen sales representatives not know what a laptop can or can't do, one of which is whether a laptop has the option for ram upgrades. So I'm assuming they are sales representatives in your region.
i just used CPU-Z and it show that mine memory card is 4gb and channel is single
i wont try to play high demain system gaming . just trying to improve the framrates when play Skyrim with a few mods

Jan 6, 2022
Looking at the specs, it appears you have 8gb already. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.HS7EK.003

Use something like CPU-Z to determine if that is a single 8gb or dual 4gb.
first of all i'm very appreciate for you taking your time to help me with my problem
The reason for mine curiousity is this the the first laptop ever that i personally own i i'm not able to use desktop cause of the demand of mine job so i just wanted to have a very rounded laptop that i can use for work,edit and a bit of gaming a long side. Thankyou

TRENDING THREADS