Question can i upgrade the cpu of this laptop to run hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
So i got this sony vaio PCG-71318l, and i wanted to upgrade the cpu because my sister wanted me to install hackintosh to this laptop after i told her that you can install macos on any pc, now the main reason why i cant buy another laptop to install hackintosh is because that my mom wont allow my sister to buy a new one since we already got a laptop. And the cpu of this laptop is not compatible to run hackintosh, so what cpu would be able to run hackintosh?
This laptop is running i3 370m

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Laptop CPUs are rarely upgradeable.

Usually, they are BGA...surface mount to the motherboard.

Even if not, the BIOS and cooling situation does not allow for a different, more powerful CPU.

Lastly, that current CPU is an 11 year old platform. Anything physically compatible is also 11 years old. Not nearly worth any hassle in buying and changing.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...core-i3-370m-processor-3m-cache-2-40-ghz.html

In this case, the CPU is socketed and could be upgraded. However all of the CPUs with the same socket, even i7s, have no more than 2 cores, so it wouldn't really be a worthwhile upgrade for just a bit of clockspeed.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
In this case, the CPU is socketed and could be upgraded. However all of the CPUs with the same socket, even i7s, have no more than 2 cores, so it wouldn't really be a worthwhile upgrade for just a bit of clockspeed.
Yes i know its not worth an upgrade but my sister wanted me to install hackintosh to this laptop after i told her that you can install macos on any pc, now the main reason why i cant buy another laptop to install hackintosh is because that my mom wont allow my sister to buy a new one since we already got a laptop.
After i do a little research i found out that my igpu isnt supported for hackintosh because itll need a hd 3000 or above. so ill need a cpu that is able to support hackintosh
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6BFQA-fxlc

And, in addition to the above, Sony laptops, especially from that era, only support a VERY short list of CPU's in BIOS. And, CPU's from that era don't have iGPU's, for the most part. In the photo above the GPU is under the heatsink on the right of the CPU and is not replaceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.