Can I use 1 pc for pfSense and Freenas using VMs ?

Crazy Tubex

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
So , Im making a server out of old C2Q machine it has 8GB of ram ,

Im making a router out of it and planing on using pfSense software but I also want to use it as file server , so could I use VirtualBox VMware or maybe even Hyper-V to do this , and what would be the best software to use this ?

Solution
Bad idea.

A firewall box (pfSense) should be its own physical box, with its own network connections.
Doing that in conjunction with your house file server is no better than not having it at all.

And running that firewall in a VM is probably worse, because it gives you a false sense of security.

I'm in the process of reconfiguring my boxes here, and the new pfSense box will indeed be its own system.
I'm not sure anyone is going to be willing to help you out on this one!

Running a firewall on a VM is bad news! The host machines are vulnerable, like your server. The server is vulnerable, and since it is on the same physical hardware as the firewall - the firewall is vulnerable. That is the logic behind it. Your server gets compromised? Eh... not a huge deal.

Your firewall gets compromised - your whole network is compromised. Baby pictures to bank accounts.

It is just a bad idea.

USAFRet

Titan
Bad idea.

A firewall box (pfSense) should be its own physical box, with its own network connections.
Doing that in conjunction with your house file server is no better than not having it at all.

And running that firewall in a VM is probably worse, because it gives you a false sense of security.

I'm in the process of reconfiguring my boxes here, and the new pfSense box will indeed be its own system.

Solution
Will second that. It is just a critically flawed topology. You would also struggle with only 8G of Ram. You will find people bleating about how secure it can be but the simple fact remains that if one part is compromised the whole is compromised. There is a reason why firewalls exist as their own appliance.