[SOLVED] Can i use 12 pins to power a 16 pin gpu

Oct 27, 2020
I want to get an MSI 3070 Gaming X Trio and I have 1x 6+2 pin sleeved cable extension and 1x 6 pin cable sleeved extension and the GPU needs 2x 6+2 pin power connectors. My power supply has the right cables but I was wondering if I could run it on the 6+2 pin and the 6 pin or if I'd need to buy another cable. Thanks

Solution
The only safe assumption you can take unless you're willing to analyze the cable is that the 6-pin can only safely carry up to 75W. Granted, I think MSI just slapped on another 8-pin connector because it's easier to stock a single connector and the card doesn't actually need that much more juice, but it's best not to take chances.
The only safe assumption you can take unless you're willing to analyze the cable is that the 6-pin can only safely carry up to 75W. Granted, I think MSI just slapped on another 8-pin connector because it's easier to stock a single connector and the card doesn't actually need that much more juice, but it's best not to take chances.

Solution
Oct 27, 2020
ok, thank you