[SOLVED] Can I use 3 sticks of RAM?

Dec 29, 2020
I couldn't find the answer to this question elsewhere so I'm asking here. I used to have 2x8gb ram at 2600mhz and one of the two sticks broke. I now bought another set of 2x8gb ram at 3200mhz. Can I pair up the stick of ram from the old set that was working with the two new sticks? Considering they are on different speeds and from different manufacturers. Also if I can pair the sticks of ram together, will I have two sticks on dual channel and one on single channel, or will all the sticks of ram go into single channel mode? I have a Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 motherboard if that helps

Solution
If it ran at all it would be in single-channel mode, slow speed, and horrible timings.
I believe this is incorrect. It should operate in flex mode if it works. This would be 2x8gb in dual channel and an additional 1x8gb in single.

I agree if it does run it will be at the worst settings of all the sticks.
If it ran at all it would be in single-channel mode, slow speed, and horrible timings.

The 2x8GB sticks, in dual-channel mode, at 3200MHz will be much faster than if you had all 3 sticks running in single-channel mode. Do you REALLY need more than 16GBs of RAM?