can i use 4 stks of ram?

sKuT

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
i have 2 stks 1gb each im wandering if i can get 2 more stks of ram each 1gb (the same brand and model)
I have 4 slots but they are diffrent colors

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
It might, or it might not work - there are no guarantees when mixing DRAM and as for the info given above, it is false - if the sticks will all play YOU determine the settings they will work at along with the mobo - if you get 2 more that will play with the old then all will run in dual channel mode

Jeffs0418

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
In my case it works.
With no mods to memory timings or clocks or any of that advanced stuff.

It was a basic question and I gave a basic answer.
IDK if the questioner is looking for complexity.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
How complex is it to tell straight up, that it's 50-50 if new sticks will even play with old? Ypu also say unless it is 'matching' that OP gives up dual channel (can take any 4 1GB sticks and if they play it's still in dual), with mixed sticks it doesn't always go to the lowest data rate/timings of the sticks of the sticks, and actually unless you have an older mobo, if Intel and you have the sticks in the proper slots you should be in flex mode and have 4GB in dual and the odd 2 off the 4GB stick in single channel mode, again nothing complex, just presenting facts

sKuT

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015

im going to be buying the exact same ram i already have im just getting more of it for a little performance boost in loading maps for games

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Makes no real difference, even with the same exact set of DRAM there's still no guarantees, that's why the manufacturers offer DRAM in such a wide variety of sets, the sticks in a package are all tested to play nice, you can pull consecutive sticks right off the assembly line and they may well not play together

TRENDING THREADS