[SOLVED] Can I use a 18650 LiPo Battery to power a 5V Wireless Gamepad ?

raziol03

Prominent
Jan 7, 2019
Hello Everyone!

I have a 5V chineese wireless gamepad (joypad) that runs on 3 AAA 1.5V batteries, and I want to convert it to power on a single 3.7 LiPo rechargeable battery.

I got an idea which involves using a TP4056 charger module to charge the 3.7V LiPo battery using my 5V wall adapter, but I'm not sure if the 3.7v of the battery can power the GamePad which needs a 5V input.

Can you please tell if that will work? And if not, Can you suggest another type of battery/charger module?

My GamePad Brand : Havit HV-G140W

Solution
Depends a lot on how it intakes voltage. Since it uses disposable batteries my guess would be it will take anything from 2-5 volts and convert it into the voltage it needs.

Alkaline 1.65 volt cells fully charged, 1.4 volts discharged. 1.4 volts x 3 would only be 4.2 volts. NiMH cells start with less voltage and would also likely work.

So as long as you can keep that cell charged, it should probably work.

Worst case you get a little voltage regulator to boost it up to 5V.

You can probably just buy some lithium AAA replacement cells and a charger.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends a lot on how it intakes voltage. Since it uses disposable batteries my guess would be it will take anything from 2-5 volts and convert it into the voltage it needs.

Alkaline 1.65 volt cells fully charged, 1.4 volts discharged. 1.4 volts x 3 would only be 4.2 volts. NiMH cells start with less voltage and would also likely work.

So as long as you can keep that cell charged, it should probably work.

Worst case you get a little voltage regulator to boost it up to 5V.

You can probably just buy some lithium AAA replacement cells and a charger.

Solution