Can I use a different router as a replacement for my ISP's?

CH9K

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Hi. I have a Comtrend DSL router. And it sucks. I have a big house and it has terrible signal strength in some parts of my house. I have a 30MB/s down & 5MB/s up. The router sucks, I have a dynamic IP with DHCP and there isn't even a change MAC address option anymore in my router. So the question is can I buy a new router and hook it into my old one and use it as a replacement? If so what are some things I have to do to get it working correctly?

EDIT: To be clear here's what I'm trying to do. My ISP gave me a DSL Mode/Wireless Router combo. It is absolutely terrible and the settings suck. I want a new router and is it possible to hook a new Wireless Router into it and use the old Combo Wireless Router as just a modem and using the new wireless router as the main one for settings/wi-fi

EDIT 2: Is it possible to replace my DSL wireless modem/router with another one I can order online?

One thing you might want to consider - adding an access point where the "dead spots" are in your home - just run an ethernet cable to to location, and put the access point in there. If you can't run ethernet - there is an option of using a powerline adapter to get to the access point.

You can setup a new router as an access point as well....just disable DHCP on the 2nd router.

This setup will give you better coverage throughout the house as you will have two routers broadcasting signal.

CH9K

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
I'm thinking this or this one. So I can hook a router into a router? http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EA3500-Dual-Band-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00L4HWY3E/ or http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR940N-Wireless-External-Antennas/dp/B003Y5RYNY/ wich one?

CH9K

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014

I'm not hooking it into a modem. I have one of those modems that have a built in router. A comtrend.

No. Buy a modem/router all in one. Things can get harder to configure if you get 2 routers. It may not even work

CH9K

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014

Well. I'm using my DSL Router/Modem Combo. It's awful. I can't plug in another router into it as a replacement and just disable the settings in the old one?

CH9K

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014

They're not really problems with the current wireless router. It's just that the range sucks and the features are limited.