[SOLVED] Can I Use a DisplayPort Switch for Gaming?

afroman7600

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
I have two computers - a work MacBook Pro and a gaming PC. I have them both outputting video at 1440p/144Hz. Currently, to switch between the two, I need to physically swap the cables in the back of the monitor, which is a pain. It is an Acer Predator XB271HU, and only has one DisplayPort in port. I also wonder if I will eventually wear out the DisplayPort in port on the monitor. I swap them a few times a day.

It seems like a great solution would be to use some sort of switch where I could connect both cables and just hit a button to quickly switch between the two. Is there something out there that would work for this?

A quick search turned this up: https://www.amazon.com/LINDY-Port-4K-DisplayPort-Switch/dp/B00ZK2S71W
However, looking in the comments, it appears that this does not work for gaming at high refresh rates ~144Hz. Now I am worried I may select the wrong product for my needs and so I am looking for some advice on this before buying.

Note: I only want to share the video, no need for keyboard and mouse to also be shared.

Solution
Here is a review from someone that has it and similar situation as you:

So here's my take on this switch. It actually works surprisingly well considering how much it cost. I have an Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q, Windows 7 with a GTX 770 as well as a GTX 980Ti both with G Sync enabled at 2560x1440 144Hz with no stumbles when using this setting for everyday use like movies, viewing photos, Office etc. However, at this setting and trying to play games at high resolutions and setting does seem to give this little baby problems. The games will run at this setting, but there will be continuous graphic glitches or video chopping during the game. Kinda like the same effects if you have a very high ping connection. I Use these settings when playing...
Here is a review from someone that has it and similar situation as you:

So here's my take on this switch. It actually works surprisingly well considering how much it cost. I have an Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q, Windows 7 with a GTX 770 as well as a GTX 980Ti both with G Sync enabled at 2560x1440 144Hz with no stumbles when using this setting for everyday use like movies, viewing photos, Office etc. However, at this setting and trying to play games at high resolutions and setting does seem to give this little baby problems. The games will run at this setting, but there will be continuous graphic glitches or video chopping during the game. Kinda like the same effects if you have a very high ping connection. I Use these settings when playing with a direct connection to my PC with no issues. I have used a female/ male connection and a male/male cable. It works great but is a pain in the rear when I'm used to using a KVM switch. I have done a lot of research and have yet to find a KVM switch that will natively run a refresh of 144Hz. Even 120Hz would be livable. With that being said, and other than playing demanding games it works pretty well. I have 3 computers that I switch between. A 4 port switch would work for me but I'm not sure if this comes in a 4 port. It's too bad Asus didn't add and HDMI port or DVI port on this monitor. By the way, not knocking anyone else's answers. I'm not sure why some of the others can't get this to work.

Solution

afroman7600

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
This is one of the reviews I was referencing. It appears that it will not work for 144Hz gaming, so I the question I am asking here is if there are alternatives to this out there that would be able to handle the gaming?