Can i use a DisplayPort to DVI to output 1080p@144fps?

mcgd4life

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
So my 1080p 144Hz monitor only has a DVI, VGA, and an HDMi port. I'm planning on buying a new pc which only has displayports, and i want to know if using a displayport to DVI adapter will allow me to achieve 144Fps.

Solution
You would need a DisplayPort to DUAL LINK DVI adapter which run around $100. Those cheap adapters you see are only single link DVI.

I'm assuming this is a desktop with integrated graphics. For that price you could add a GeForce GTX 1050 2GB. Which will have a dual link DVI port and substantially improve your graphics performance.

Update: Looking through the adapters. Most have a lot of reliability issues. This is the most reliable of the bunch.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00A493CNY/

At that price I'd be looking at replacing the integrated graphics. If it has a decent GPU already. I'd look at alternative computers with the correct port.

Don't forget that you also need a...
You would need a DisplayPort to DUAL LINK DVI adapter which run around $100. Those cheap adapters you see are only single link DVI.

I'm assuming this is a desktop with integrated graphics. For that price you could add a GeForce GTX 1050 2GB. Which will have a dual link DVI port and substantially improve your graphics performance.

Update: Looking through the adapters. Most have a lot of reliability issues. This is the most reliable of the bunch.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00A493CNY/

At that price I'd be looking at replacing the integrated graphics. If it has a decent GPU already. I'd look at alternative computers with the correct port.

Don't forget that you also need a DUAL LINK DVI cable.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Plated-DVI-D-Ferrites/dp/B007NJ0S1W/

Solution

mcgd4life

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017

mcgd4life

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
I'm a bit new to gaming PC's and such. It has a GTX 1070. The outer case does not have a DVI Port, But technically i could connect it to the GTX 1070 right?

If it has a GTX 1070. You want to connect to the GTX 1070. The motherboard ports are usually disabled when a discrete graphics card is installed. They wouldn't benefit from the GTX 1070 if they were turned on.

I'm surprised the GTX 1070 does not have DVI. Most do. If it doesn't have the DVI port. Then you need to use the DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter. Just remember that most of those adapters have reliability issues. So, your mileage may vary.

You'd be better off choosing a different computer with DVI. Since the adapter costs $100. If the alternate computer costs a $100 more than the one you want. So what. In the end you'd pay the same for a more reliable solution.

The other option. Sell your monitor. Since you know the adapter costs around $100. If you instead add that $100 to the money you get for your monitor. You could instead buy a 144hz 1920x1080 monitor with a proper DisplayPort. Perhaps even G-Sync or 1440p.

mcgd4life

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
Oh no the 1070 does have a DVI Port, I originally thought that i had to connect my monitor to the motherboard. I am really new to this stuff as i previously used laptops. Thank you so much for the time you took to answer my question, hopefully it would help other people though!