[SOLVED] Can i use a dual monitor setup 1 for my photography workflow, 1 for gaming?

Synet3579

Prominent
May 14, 2021
I have a Dell UltraSharp 2715H 27 inch 1440p IPS monitor at 60hz that I use for my photography work. I am looking to purchase another monitor but the one I have is no longer for sale anywhere. Can I purchase another monitor with a higher refresh rate and say 144hz, but still also 1440p, that will be good for gaming? I would not use both monitors for gaming but 1 for photography editing and the other Gaming. My PC is an i7 7820X, 32GB Ram, X299. Graphics card isn't great AMD RX 580 8GB Ram.

Will I run into issues apart from the looks of having 2 different monitors?

Thanks.

Solution
Just make sure that the monitor that you're viewing from an angle (secondary monitor) is an IPS panel and not a TN panel.
This is because TN panel has very bad viewing angles. You may not see parts of the screen legibly when viewed from an angle.
TN panel monitors are only good when you're looking at them directly in front of view.
A good setup would be just sticking with dual IPS panels. You can view them from any angle and they both have great color accuracy.
TN panels on the other hand imitate colors, but they're cheaper and are popular for shooter games where you only need to spot your foe faster to shoot.

I have dual 1080p 144 Hz monitors, one is a TN panel and my side one is an IPS.
In your case though since you do photo...
Just make sure that the monitor that you're viewing from an angle (secondary monitor) is an IPS panel and not a TN panel.
This is because TN panel has very bad viewing angles. You may not see parts of the screen legibly when viewed from an angle.
TN panel monitors are only good when you're looking at them directly in front of view.
A good setup would be just sticking with dual IPS panels. You can view them from any angle and they both have great color accuracy.
TN panels on the other hand imitate colors, but they're cheaper and are popular for shooter games where you only need to spot your foe faster to shoot.

In your case though since you do photo editing, dual IPS panel monitors would be the recommended choice as it gives you the best color accuracy. You can game on one screen and do photo edits on the other simultaneously.

Last edited:
Solution

In your case though since you do photo editing, dual IPS panel monitors would be the recommended choice as it gives you the best color accuracy. You can game on one screen and do photo edits on the other simultaneously.
Honestly, viewing angles on TN aren't THAT bad.
Especially side to side, up and down it's horrible.
Also, If you adjust the monitor so it faces you, it's fine.

I have one that has very washed out colors despite configuring. The TN Panel is on the right and I can't see what's on the top right of the screen from where I'm sitting on my chair. I've already replaced that with an IPS panel since then and had no regrets.

The one on the left is a TN panel too. BenQ XL2411P. Its viewing angle is not that bad, but I paid more for it than the cheaper Philips TN Panel to the right.
Just be wary that if you're into TN Panels, see first if you can view the monitor from an angle, because some TN panels are really bad such that the colors fade out when viewed at an angle (like the Philips on the right I have personally experienced, it was cheap).

View: https://imgur.com/YJAl01o

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You won't flip-flop monitors. You'd use a Primary monitor that does the lions share of the work load, be it gaming or photography, and a secondary monitor for overflow, extras, web browsing etc.

So decide which will be the primary, the existing monitor or the new monitor and buy accordingly. If keeping the existing, you could go cheaper for secondary, since you'll not do photography work and game simultaneously on seperate screens. If you plan on doing both, get a similar or better monitor for primary and suffer no loss of visual quality.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
^ agreed. I have 2x Asus 24" 1080p 60Hz TN, and both are 8 years old. The cheaper (secondary) is definitely less bright and realistic, not very vivid at all, but would be fine without the side-by-side comparison to the more expensive model (primary) which is much more vivid, brighter, clearer and overall a much better picture.