Question Can i use a extension cord

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I keep reading that the higher i put my mest router, the better service i would get. The only way I could do that is if I attach an extension cord to it. Would that work?

What do you mean a extension cord. Power makes no difference and ethernet can go 100 meters.

There is no way to predict inside your house if putting the router higher will help. Outdoors with nothing blocking the theory is based on reducing the amount of signal that is bounced off the ground and is reflected back interfering with the main signal.
In the house you have all the ceilings and walls in addition to floors as well as anything else in the rooms. Just moving a router a couple inches one way or another can make a big difference but there is not general rule because just you standing in the room is affecting the signal.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
By extension cord I should have said the cord that one plugs into the wall outlet. I see your point....The reason I asked is because i have WIFI in my home connected to my phone, dvd player, Nexus and Google Nest, but for some reason I cannot get it setup for my smart tv LG, so I have to use the wired connection for that only.

Last edited:
If ethenet works and the "wife" does not complain about how your ran the cable that is your best option.

2 other options but are going to cost more than just a cable. You can use MoCA if you have coax cable by the tv and the router. Otherwise powerline networks which run over the electrical outlet will likely be fast enough for a tv.

You can also use moca and powerline to increase your wifi coverage. You would put the remote unit someplace where wifi is weak and then plug a AP or a router set to AP mode into it to provide the wifi. They make powerline network device with the AP built in.

Wifi coverage is all trial and error no 2 houses are the same. Sometime something as simple as opening a door or turning a PC around increases the signals.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
If ethenet works and the "wife" does not complain about how your ran the cable that is your best option.

2 other options but are going to cost more than just a cable. You can use MoCA if you have coax cable by the tv and the router. Otherwise powerline networks which run over the electrical outlet will likely be fast enough for a tv.

You can also use moca and powerline to increase your wifi coverage. You would put the remote unit someplace where wifi is weak and then plug a AP or a router set to AP mode into it to provide the wifi. They make powerline network device with the AP built in.

Wifi coverage is all trial and error no 2 houses are the same. Sometime something as simple as opening a door or turning a PC around increases the signals.

So wired, be it. Thanks