Can I use a magnetic screw driver?

ericjohnson1981

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
I'm not sure about that but I heard that you should be more worried about static electricity though cuz it has bad effects on some of the components.

Ok. checked this website http://lifehacker.com/software/macgyver-tip/keep-screws-on-your-screwdriver-without-magnetism-276861.php and most of the comments said dat its okay to use magnetized screw driver as it takes a more powerful magnet to damage the components inside
smile1.gif

While I think care is always required, I've used magnetic screwdrivers for twenty years without issues. I wouldn't rest it (or its bits) on top of a hard drive, but I don't think you'll have any problems.

+1

I've also used magnetic screwdrivers on quite a few builds without issues. Just be careful and don't directly touch any components (especially the HD).

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I haven't had any problems using one , even for screwing in HD's and such....I mean just don't leave it on top of the hd...or use to to poke around in the PSU or something XD
But they are handy for getting screws that fall out, so yeah your fine just don't be stupid.

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I would never dare use one just in case. Fook wrecking high-end components.

Its the same reason I wear a anti-static wrist band, sure you can do it without one, but I feel better wearing it.

Why tempt fate?

I agree with Merlin. I am not particularly worried about static electricity, but I do not use magnetic tools anywhere near anything that I would regard as sensitive to magnetic tools; eg. floppy drives, Jazz drives, and hard drives.

Why temp fate.

wingmaster

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I don't use magnetic tools so agree with other two post you can do lots of stuff to discharge static and wearing all cotton clothing is a must for me working inside my case. poly's and lots of other synthetics can produce static but using magnetic tools I worry about touching something it shouldn't and I'm very unlucky to say the least anyway.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I'd always heard not to use a magnetic screwdriver when mounting a HD. At work I have put this warning/theory to the test on numerous occasions with no lost hard drives or data. When working on my own personal rig? I do avoid using magnetic screwdrivers... maybe I'm being overly cautious. What can I say? I hate to RMA stuff.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
n using magnetic screwdrivers when building computers for 20 years. Never had a problem. You can definately use it safely. Just keep it away from floppy disks that are missing their covers. (If by some odd chance you still use those)

trkorecky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I as well have never had a problem using a magnetic screwdriver, and actually prefer using one. Makes keeping small screws under control a lot easier than a regular screwdriver (I have huge hands, so these small computer parts are getting more difficult...).

I'm pretty sure the magnetic field from your hard drives is far more powerful anyway.

I use a #2 phillips head screwdriver all the time. Get one 4 to 6" long with just a 1/4" long magnetic tip. It is very useful to position screws in the motherboard if you have fat fingers.
Just be careful. Don't keep it mear any magnetic parts like the hard drive.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I've been using magnetic screwdrivers for many years now with absolutely no problems. I can't even stand to have to work on one now without it being magnetic. Yes, even on the hard drive.

One day I had a friend's hard drive sitting on my desk and my daughter came up and stuck a high powered magnet right on the top of it (not running). I freaked out thinking I was going to have to buy a new drive for my friend and apologize profusely for losing his data, but when I hooked it back up it was perfectly fine.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
hard drives are far better sheilded than most people think. That doesn't mean you should put magnets near them for fun, however it does mean that a magnetic screwdriver that can't even pick up a drive screw from more than .5mm and normally requiers contact to do even that is not going to hurt them. It is very safe to use the magnetic screw driver and if it saves you from dropping even one screw that wold then contact the MB and grounds it will have been well worth it. I think it is more risky to work without it (what if you drop a screw and bend a cap or something trying to get that screw back you could easily be screwed. (no pun intedned)

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006

QFT!
+ 2

wingmaster

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Well I would watch it though lots of motherboards have chokes or coils on the board waving a magnet across a coil of wire does produce electric current. Probably not enough to hurt anything but I would watch very carefully where you wave the magnetic screwdriver just to be safe anyway. They also make screwdrivers with grab hooks on the end to hold the screw in place.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
All hard drives have enough magnetic sheilding to get by, when magnetic tools are used. Infact, Hard drives have some EXTREMELY powerful magnets in them in the first place, that controls the arm. Infact, I've torn apart older drives for these magnets, so I can rest them in the bottom of the box I keep my screwdrivers in. :p

And since the hard drive is your only magnetic sensitive part in 99% of consumer computers, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.