Can I use a magnetic screw driver?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

t85us

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Feel free to use whatewer skrewdriver you can :) so weak magnetic fileds won't do ever problems or failure in your mobo's circuits

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I've been building comptuer for some time now too. I'm in the crowd that does use magnetic screw drivers. Like noted earlier, the magentic field a screw driver creates will not overpower the sheilding and magentic field generated by the hard drive(most devices for that matter). I think your better off using it vs taking the chance of dropping screws. Dropping screws and trying to get them out can be quite a pain and can damage the board if your not careful. Now if for some reason your hard drives are opened up and exposed then i'd keep the screw driver away but at that point most likely the hard drives are damaged anyways.

There's two risks. 1) the magentic field from your screw driver will overpower your hard drive and damage it. 2)You stand a good chance of dropping screws. I'd say stick with preventing opition 2.

Firefly TW

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
does anybody have a Comptia A+ certified view on this. I'm taking the test in a couple of months and wonder what the official answer will be

baverdi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I believe they say not to because they say that the magnetism can induce currents in conductors and burn out components without your knowledge. I disagree but that is what my 1000 page CompTIA study guide says.

Mr_Bojangles

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

You should consider trying cram and get lucky on it early. If you get it before 2011, you will be certified for life, if you get it during 2011 you will need to get re certified once every 3 years. As far as I know, there is no penalty for failing (besides losing the test fee, not too cheap either) If you're reading this site, chances are you know enough to pass. When in doubt, choose the answer that seems the safest pick. It's all multiple choice with some questions having multiple right answers, lol

Edit: was looking at a few sample questions for it, saw this gem and completely lost it reading answers c and d

6.You have recently changed the CMOS password and now you have forgot that. In this case, What should you do?
a)Install the CMOS shorting jumper to erase the CMOS data
b)Enter the CMOS program and reset or erase the password
c)Find a machine that does not use password protection
d)Keep trying different password combinations