[SOLVED] can i use a psu with a 18 pin main connector on a normal motherboard?

farooqaq

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
so i wanted a modular psu and looked everywhere and couldn't find a cheap one and saw someone selling a cooler master 650w gold and the guy is selling it because he couldn't get it to work.

i though if i use a 6 pin with 18 pin will it work and if it works will it be safe for my pc?

the psu 4 6 pin connectors and there will be plently left for other stuff.

if anybody thinks it's ok then it's a win lol or if it doesn't i will feel like an idiot D;

08-500x500.jpg

Solution
Yes, you are correct, that would be 28 pins, some of the extra wires are for sensory purposes and are spliced together with other wires.

The 18-pins and the 10-pins are wired into a 20+4-pin motherboard connector, believe it or not

You do not need an adaptor, the correct cable should be included with the PSU modular cable kit

Like I said, it is a configuration seen on multiple PSUs

My current Seasonic has that configuration, my previous Corsair AX860 had that configuration, and I have seen other examples on these forums as well

I can post a picture of one of my 18+10 pin -> 24-pin cables for visual reference, if you want?

Or you can verify my statement by looking it up in the PSU manual ;)

farooqaq

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
The 20+4 pin cable that comes with the PSU, combines ATX 18P with ATX 10P into one connector (20+4-pin).

No daptors needed

I have a PSU with same configuration, it is not an uncommon setup

but that will be 28 pins? 🤔

due to lock down everything is closed if it works but needs a adapter or whatever it is called then i might have to wait a long time

Yes, you are correct, that would be 28 pins, some of the extra wires are for sensory purposes and are spliced together with other wires.

The 18-pins and the 10-pins are wired into a 20+4-pin motherboard connector, believe it or not

You do not need an adaptor, the correct cable should be included with the PSU modular cable kit

My current Seasonic has that configuration, my previous Corsair AX860 had that configuration, and I have seen other examples on these forums as well

I can post a picture of one of my 18+10 pin -> 24-pin cables for visual reference, if you want?

Last edited:
Reactions: farooqaq
Solution

farooqaq

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
Yes, you are correct, that would be 28 pins, some of the extra wires are for sensory purposes.

ok thanks for the help, i just wanted to confirm lol never used a full modular psu before

farooqaq

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015

ok i needed to ask one more thing,the guy said it doesn't support his motherboard.

so is there a compatibility issue with PSUs too or the psu itself is dead?

I can't think of any reasons it wouldn't be compatible with the majority of current motherboards that require standard 20-pin or 24-pin motherboard power connection

Without knowing the actual model, the PSU appear to me to be following current standards, and I suspect the problem would be the PSU itself, if you are unable to make it work, when connecting it correctly