[SOLVED] Can I use a VGA output as a 2nd 4+4 to my mobo?

bemused

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sure this question has a very simple answer... but I'm damned if I can find it anywhere.

I'm looking to upgrade my computer. Currently, have a BitFenix Whisper 850 PS, which I intend to keep for the upgrade.

A couple of the motherboards I'm looking at suggest 2 4+4 power inputs.

The Whisper 850 has 1 8-pin out labelled "CPU", as well as four others: two labelled "VGA 1", and two labelled "VGA 2".

As I'm only planning on a single graphics card... is there any reason I can't use one of the VGA 2 outputs as the second mobo power input?

Thanks.

Solution
I'm sure this question has a very simple answer... but I'm damned if I can find it anywhere.

I'm looking to upgrade my computer. Currently, have a BitFenix Whisper 850 PS, which I intend to keep for the upgrade.

The Whisper 850 has 1 8-pin out labelled "CPU", as well as four others: two labelled "VGA 1", and two labelled "VGA 2".

As I'm only planning on a single graphics card... is there any reason I can't use one of the VGA 2 outputs as the second mobo power input?

Thanks.
No you can't do that. It will be fine with just the single (4+4) 8-pin CPU cable. The extra CPU connection is supplemental power for extreme overclocking and you should not need it...

Thanks.
No you can't do that. It will be fine with just the single (4+4) 8-pin CPU cable. The extra CPU connection is supplemental power for extreme overclocking and you should not need it unless the motherboard manual specifically states to use it.

Solution
most mainboards will work with single cpu 12eps cable (4+4), if theres another one included than it for overclocking (for single cpu), if u have dual cpu mainboard, then 2nd 12v eps may be needed to be plugged in aswell

as for using pcie to eps adapters...that depends on power load, if load wont be high, any pcie to eps should work, if load will be high, its probably recommended to use 2x 6pin pcie to 2x 4pin eps as gpu pcie doesnt have enough +12v leads

each 4pin eps can carry 144watts, but its mostly limited to ~130watts on mobo side