Can I use an addtional 2TB internal hard drive on my Gigabyte motherboard?

debayan

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Hi, I am planning to buy a 2tb hard drive which will be my additional hard drive. My current system is
Processor:Intel i3 3220 3.3Ghz 64 bit. Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-S1 (rev. 2.0)
Ram: PNY 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz
Hard drive(Primary): Segate Baracuda 300 Gb.

Please suggest me if another 2tb additional hard drive will be supported by this system?

debayan

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Thanks phillip. Here I forget to mention that my os is windows 7. can you suggest which hard drive(2TB) brand will be suitable for this set up. And what should I check before buying a 2Tb hard drive?

Your version of Windows is irrelevant when choosing a hard drive.

What is important is choosing a hard drive which has an interface to match the connectors on the motherboard (ie SATA or IDE), and for optimum performance you need to make sure it's a SATA II drive to match the SATA II ports on that motherboard model.

Don't fit a SATA I drive because you'll only get SATA I transfer speeds, but you can fit a SATA III drive if a SATA II is not available (don't expect SATA III performance from it though).

As for brands, Samsung or Western Digital I find to be the most reliable percentage-wise. I've had too many Seagate drives fail to recommend that brand.