Can I use dedicated graphics card and not use a cpu with integrated graphics?

pcoperator

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
I am responsible for purchasing a pc build that mimics a pre-built pc on TigerDirect. I am using the same processor (I5 3550p) which does not have integrated graphics. I also have purchased the Asrock Z75 pro 3 mobo and it, like all the others, says onboard graphics supported only with cpu with integrated graphics. I need to know that I can use a Non integrated graphics cpu and just install a graphics card of random quality for basic video and it work? This would be a video card installed in the pci x16 slot as well.

Solution
As long as there is a PCIex16 slot (which there is) you can use a dedicated GPU. If you we to use onboard graphics, ex: using the video outputs from the motherboard instead of the GPUs outputs, it would have to come from an integrated GPU in the CPU.

It just means there in no integrated graphics chipset like what used to come with some motherboards.

ryanrich83

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
As long as there is a PCIex16 slot (which there is) you can use a dedicated GPU. If you we to use onboard graphics, ex: using the video outputs from the motherboard instead of the GPUs outputs, it would have to come from an integrated GPU in the CPU.

It just means there in no integrated graphics chipset like what used to come with some motherboards.

Solution

firo40

Splendid
You need a graphics card of some form to even use your computer if you are using a processor that does not suppourt integrated graphics. If its just for basic video work try a cheap low profile amd gpu like a 7770 its only 100$

USAFRet

Titan
Yes.
What this statement :"onboard graphics supported only with cpu with integrated graphics." means is that the motherboard is mostly just a passthrough. The integrated graphics in the CPU does all the work, and the motherboard provides a place to plug the monitor in.

The motherboard itself does little if anything with the video signal.

Yes, you can use an dedicated card.

pcoperator

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Thanks

pcoperator

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

This is my first post. Please excuse me. This is not the most user friendly posting I have seen but it works.

ryanrich83

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

No prob.

TRENDING THREADS