Can I use directx 12 on directx 11 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterwayne3293

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
Like witcher 3, a directx 11 game, when I've got directx 12 installed and I play the game again, will it improves my current performance?

Solution
If the game needs to set anything up (like if something in DX 11 was removed in DX12), it should install the runtimes for the DX version it needs.

For example, I am on Windows 8.1 (which ships with DX 11) but I still play lots of DX 9 based games. When I install those games, they run their own included copy of the DX 9 runtime installer so that the game will run properly. In the case of Windows 10 and DX 12, the same should apply.

Won't improve performance at all... just because the OS ships with a newer DX version doesn't mean older games on older DX versions will suddenly use the newer version and run better because of it. Doesn't work that way.
If the game needs to set anything up (like if something in DX 11 was removed in DX12), it should install the runtimes for the DX version it needs.

For example, I am on Windows 8.1 (which ships with DX 11) but I still play lots of DX 9 based games. When I install those games, they run their own included copy of the DX 9 runtime installer so that the game will run properly. In the case of Windows 10 and DX 12, the same should apply.

Won't improve performance at all... just because the OS ships with a newer DX version doesn't mean older games on older DX versions will suddenly use the newer version and run better because of it. Doesn't work that way.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.