Question Can I use Encrypted WD My book with WD Security on Android TV

Aug 31, 2022
Hi, so for the first time I decided to use WD Security on WD My book- assigning a password to the HDD.
If I wanna Use it on Another Computer or on my Android TV, it will automatically asked for password or the WD Security needs to be installed on every Hardware I'm gonna use?

kanewolf

Titan
well , I do.. that's why I'm searching for an app which I can use to lock my external drive..
I don't think you will find anything. TVs don't have full featured operating systems. They have just enough to barely do the job. They might be able to read a USB disk, but that is because they need that capability for software installation. Being able to read a disk with media is a bonus.

Reactions: Jaber62
Aug 31, 2022
Aug 31, 2022
How do you expect the "smart" TV to answer the password challenge for you? In fact, even to initiate the password challenge you would need to send the appropriate Vendor Specific Command (VSC) to the WD device. VSCs are not public information.
that's why I'm searching for an application which have been released for both windows and android OS.. they should have the same VSCs, if they belong to the same company.
Your smart TV is not smart enough to do that.
Android TVs can run the same apps android phones run I presume..

if no one releases an app for android to Lock and unlock the external hard drive, it's okay. But to say there is an app for android which only smart android phones can run not the Android TVs, that I can not agree with..

that's why I'm searching for an application which have been released for both windows and android OS.. they should have the same VSCs, if they belong to the same company.

if no one releases an app for android to Lock and unlock the external hard drive, it's okay. But to say there is an app for android which only smart android phones can run not the Android TVs, that I can not agree with..

The VSCs I'm referring to are proprietary to WD. The Android tool developer has presumably reverse engineered the VSC and incorporated it into his/her product. Other developers would need to do the same.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan

"I presume"

The TV hardware and OS may be Android based, but it is NOT the same as a phone.

Disregarding this WD Encryption software, have you found ANY native android apps that will install on your TV?

Simple solution....get another drive to hook to the TV.

Aug 31, 2022
"I presume"

The TV hardware and OS may be Android based, but it is NOT the same as a phone.

Disregarding this WD Encryption software, have you found ANY native android apps that will install on your TV?

Simple solution....get another drive to hook to the TV.
Actually it is , almost the same..at least my tv is,,

I can install almost every app from playstore on my tv,, audio and video players, file managers, editors, social apps, you name it,,

And about getting another drive you suggested, 1TB WD external drive costs me 1/5 of my monthly paycheck.. so it is not a simple solution for me..
Thanks anyway..

USAFRet

Titan
Actually it is , almost the same..at least my tv is,,

I can install almost every app from playstore on my tv,, audio and video players, file managers, editors, social apps, you name it,,

And about getting another drive you suggested, 1TB WD external drive costs me 1/5 of my monthly paycheck.. so it is not a simple solution for me..
Thanks anyway..
So what, if anything, have you found in the PlayStore to accomplish this?

As far as another 1TB...think differently.
A small flash drive to hold your critical personal docs.
The WD HDD...unencrypted for your TV movies.