[SOLVED] Can I Use GDDR5 Ram On A 1660ti

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
So, as the title says, im planning on replacing my r7 370 gpu for a 1660ti, I have 2 sticks of gddr5 ram 4gb each, is that possible, im not good at gpus and all the combinations and stuff so i was wondering if i can use gddr5 ram with that graphics card.
Thanks!

Solution
So, as the title says, im planning on replacing my r7 370 gpu for a 1660ti, I have 2 sticks of gddr5 ram 4gb each, is that possible, im not good at gpus and all the combinations and stuff so i was wondering if i can use gddr5 ram with that graphics card.

System MEMORY is different than the GPU's frame buffer aka VRAM, and it doesn't matter if you system supports DDR3 or DDR4 RAM, the card will work nonetheless. Don't get confused between VRAM and system Memory. Your PC might be having either DDR3 or DDR4 memory type, NOT GDDR5, which is different than the memory type used in the GTX 1660 Ti.

Which Motherboard do you have ? Also, list full PC specs, including the make/model of your PSU.
The GTX 1660ti comes with GDDR6 vram soldered onto the card.

GDDR5 ram doesn't come in sticks. It is not system memory. Your ram stick in the motherboard is likely either DDR3 or DDR4.

Either way, system memory does not affect the GPU. No matter what ram your system uses, the 1660ti will work.

System MEMORY is different than the GPU's frame buffer aka VRAM, and it doesn't matter if you system supports DDR3 or DDR4 RAM, the card will work nonetheless. Don't get confused between VRAM and system Memory. Your PC might be having either DDR3 or DDR4 memory type, NOT GDDR5, which is different than the memory type used in the GTX 1660 Ti.

Which Motherboard do you have ? Also, list full PC specs, including the make/model of your PSU.

Solution

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
Any cpu that runs on your motherboard is going to be a significant limiting factor. Do you plan on upgrading the rest of the system in the near future? If no then I don’t see much point in going for the 1660Ti.
Ill just play the games on low-medium, and the CPU does not ever exceed 30% while i play, i just play pubg and get decent fps with the gpu i have although with everything on very low, i get like 55fps even with some settings tweaked to be even lower. The 1660ti will get me to over 60fps with that cpu.

Total cpu usage is not that meaningful, you need to monitor individual cores. It only takes 1 at 100% to limit performance. Quick test, reduce your resolution, if your FPS stays similar you are already limited by your cpu.

What resolution are you running and what exact cpu do you have? It’s very likely the 1660Ti is way more than you need or your system can keep up with.